GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nitrogen or air?

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
Like the title, the benefit of filling with nitrogen over air and is it worth the extra $ ?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I am getting pressure alerts similar to fall.
No issue over winter.
Set pressure to 37 last week. Yesterday it measured 39. Pressure even in all tires so I would think alert would not go off.
Not sure if temp swings are an issue. I have set them cold, warm and hot but error keeps coming back. I am at VW today and having them check other causes. If nothing found I might inflate tires with Nitrogern to cut down on pressure swings and see if it helps.

Nitrogen benefits - what I have heard.
1. More nutural so less temp swings in pressure. Nitrogen does not have moisture in it.
This is why race teams use. Better control of pressure with temp changes.
2. Pressure loss will be slower. Nitrogen molecules are larger than compressed air. They pass through rubber tires at a slower rate.
3. Some say less moisture better for butyl layer inside tire. Not sure how much it helps this.

I have used in other cars.
You can tell pressure loss over time is slower.
This was in a truck so no way to tell any performance gains.

I suggest try it if cost not a big issue.
You can always stop using and just add air when needed.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Plus you get to rock those awesome green valve stem caps!

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
Plus when most shops fill with nitrogen its more of a ''top off'' when they fill the tires after the bead has been set with regular air.... so for that added reason, no not worth it.

adam1991

Banned
I seem to remember James Bond breathing air from the tire of his Lotus while he waited for the bad guys on the surface to go away.

Had Q put pure nitrogen in those babies, Bond would have died.

Food for thought.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I seem to remember James Bond breathing air from the tire of his Lotus while he waited for the bad guys on the surface to go away.

Had Q put pure nitrogen in those babies, Bond would have died.

Food for thought.

But Q planned for everything.
The reason Bond was never killed and Q worked till retirement.
I am sure the spy industry has high turnover.