GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs Stage 2 ST

B00STED1

Ready to race!
So after weeks of trying to plan a friendly run between my friend who has a Stage 2 ST (Cobb tuned, FBO) we had the chance tonight. It was two runs that I actually wanted to test out between letting the car shift through the entire powerband and me shifting at 5500 rpm. The end result was me winning by a car and a half, he actually told me that he thought he would be close so that made me feel even better lol Definitely an accomplishment for me as I only have on my JB4 a Map6 setting for stock setup, with more boost available with my DP tune I should expect an even bigger gap if we run again.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So after weeks of trying to plan a friendly run between my friend who has a Stage 2 ST (Cobb tuned, FBO) we had the chance tonight. It was two runs that I actually wanted to test out between letting the car shift through the entire powerband and me shifting at 5500 rpm. The end result was me winning by a car and a half, he actually told me that he thought he would be close so that made me feel even better lol Definitely an accomplishment for me as I only have on my JB4 a Map6 setting for stock setup, with more boost available with my DP tune I should expect an even bigger gap if we run again.

Same outcome both runs?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
5500 too early, 6500 too late. 6000 ftw.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
5500 too early, 6500 too late. 6000 ftw.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I personally find shifting at 6000rpm or 6200rpm ideal on the OEM IS20

Nice kill OP!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Nope, 5.5k should be good for most tunes. Fastest is20 cars are shifting at 5.2-5.3k

Guess those tunes are playing to the strength of the IS20 and making huge torque up front with a steep taper?

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Nope, 5.5k should be good for most tunes. Fastest is20 cars are shifting at 5.2-5.3k

Agreed. Swap turbo’s if you need to shift 6k plus. One question? Does is20 make more tq or hp?

Last edited:

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Agreed. Swap turbo’s if you need to shift 6k plus. One question? Does is20 make more tq or hp?
Torque

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Torque

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Amen brother. Does not take a rocket scientist to sort that out. Just pick a gear like 3rd and record you speedo from say 2600 rpms and watch/count the gaps in speed registered through out rev range. At about 4800 rpms the gaps shorten (get smaller) on IS20 (without Uni tuning...lol). Torque is killing clutches not peak hp. :). I drop from 5 plus mph to 3. Speedo is not making shit up either.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Guess those tunes are playing to the strength of the IS20 and making huge torque up front with a steep taper?

Look at any is20 dyno sheet too, it's checking out usually after 4800-5200 RPM, after that all you're doing is making heat.

There's more to when you should shift where peak power is made though.

Typically speaking, you want the most acceleration possible. Just because you're at a part of the powerband where you make the most power doesn't mean you'll accelerate the quickest.

Think of it like this, is20's can make peak tq at super low RPM and DSG's <3 themselves some 6th gear.

Let's for the sake of argument our is20 DSG GTI makes peak tq at 2000 RPM and we're:

In manual mode
Cruising in 6th gear (like a choad) at 50 MPH
When all the sudden vape nation soobie wants to establish dominance by (t)rolling on you. Pulls up along side of you and flashes you a 'dudeBRO' head nod and tells you to count the honks off.

Now we know we make all the torques eva and downshifting is for fags so we're thinking we don't have to downshift for max accel on the third honk, we lazily leave the bitch in 6th and mat it.

honk, honk, honk and vape nation runs wild on us.

"But bruh...muh torques..."

Now we do the same thing only start in 3rd at roughly 3500 RPM(past where peak tq is made btw) and give vape nation a proper gaptizing.

Now let's say if it's a 50 mph-160 mph race because we're irresponsible fuckbois who ain't give no bother.

Assuming we're in the same exact car as before would we get to 160 mph faster by shifting at 5200 rpm each time meaning we'd do the last amount of our acceleration in 6th gear(0.46 ratio) but be in the fatter part of the power band OR shifting each gear at 6500 and getting to 160 just before 6000 rpm in 5th(0.58 ratio)?

The latter would yield greater acceleration, BUT do it more inefficiently causing greater levels of heat and would yield diminishing returns in say a road race on a point and shoot track(Circuit of the Americas, Road Atlanta)where you're continually building up speed and spending a ton of time in high load situations.

Overall it's a lot like braking. Being hard on an engine and operating it out of peak efficiency for the sake of acceleration isn't horrible. Spending a lot of time in that inefficiency zone is where things start to come apart.

And holy fuckballs are the DSG gears way too fkn long for 4-5-6