GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Safe location to drill/tap intake manifold..

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Looking to install a dual boost/IAT gauge and was wondering what the ideal location to drill and tap for the IAT sensor. Was thinking the vicinity of the MAP sensor..

Almost forgot.. Is the plastic debris that will wind up inside while drilling soft enough to get burned up and not cause damage?

Thanks..

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I've never heard of installing an external IAT gauge on our engines, but for the boost tap there is a port on the side of the intake manifold that most people poke a hole through with a nail or something.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
There is a spot on the side of the manifold that can be tapped into. There are a few boost tap kits out there that use that location. The ECS one comes to mind. Pretty sure that APR also uses that location. What kind of gauge are you using?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
There is a spot on the side of the manifold that can be tapped into. There are a few boost tap kits out there that use that location. The ECS one comes to mind. Pretty sure that APR also uses that location. What kind of gauge are you using?

I'm aware of the nipple on the side of the manifold (same as my Mk6), but I'm more interested in a good location for an IAT sensor..

Thanks.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
The ECU can send out IAT data through the OBDII port. You could get an OBDEleven Pro and have access to live data readouts on an Android device. Or you could use the Torque app with a bluetooth OBDII dongle. No need to tap into anything and you get access to all kinds of useful info with both of them.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
The ECU can send out IAT data through the OBDII port. You could get an OBDEleven Pro and have access to live data readouts on an Android device. Or you could use the Torque app with a bluetooth OBDII dongle. No need to tap into anything and you get access to all kinds of useful info with both of them.

I used Torque in the past, but unfortunately I'm running a JB4 which uses the OBD port.. Which is a drag as I really miss that app..

Thanks - I do appreciate the input..

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I used Torque in the past, but unfortunately I'm running a JB4 which uses the OBD port.. Which is a drag as I really miss that app..

No problem. Another thing to look at is the performance monitor app that one of the members here is developing. It's an Android Auto app for data monitoring that displays on the MIB. His name is Chillout and is pretty active on here. Here's the link to the thread: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38177

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed
If you want to avoid plastic debris (which you should), do not drill. Find something in metal with a pointy end (big nail?) the size of the hole you wanna make and make it red hot with a torch. Then just poke through the plastic.

whitewagen

Passed Driver's Ed

Get the JB4 bluetooth transmitter with the app. You can display boost and iat plus four more parameters. Plus logging and change settings.