GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quick IS20 Question

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Might be picking up an IS20 from a 15 GTI with around 50~k miles on it. Since I intend on sending it out to have it rebuilt, polished, clipped, and balanced before installing it, does it really matter which revision I get? I know there have been issues with the turbos on 15's.

Thanks..

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Don’t know if the rebuild will rectify he inherent flaw in the early revision IS20. If you can, find out the build date on the vehicle or which revision it is. I know that the problems tend to be associated with the early builds. Typically 2014 build dates. I would recommend asking whatever company is going to rebuild the turbo for you. Ask if the rebuild will take care of the issues that plagued the earlier revisions

joofcorn

Ready to race!
I think the rule people use is the ones ending in 722 are the target, the 702 were the older ones. There is also 847 L which I just picked up used, and I think those are the newest, not a ton of info on those yet.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
There are a few theories about why the early revisions were potentially bad, but I know a big one had something to do with balance, so sending it out to be rebuilt would fix that. And also, it's not like the 702's were all bad, it was just common enough to get a bad one for it to be noticed.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I asked 2 weeks ago Gpop about rebalancing an IS38 and this was there answer:

Thank you for your interest. We do not recommend rebalancing these turbo, it has been our experience that this does not extend the life of these units. It seems that if these are going to fail, they fail, balanced or unbalanced, new/rebuilt/used, nothing changes it. We would suggest the ceramic coating for performance, and anything that can help control the heat is always beneficial.
Again this is for the is38 idk if the IS20 would be different.
My GTI has been 30k miles with a 9/2014 IS20 and is a strong as the first day, so I don’t know what to think anymore really.

joofcorn

Ready to race!
702 probably is fine in most cases, like melted said, it was just a trend people noticed. that being said, one of the biggest things might just be take care of your turbo. i.e. regular oil changes, let the oil warm up before really punching the throttle, downshift to accelerate when at low rpm, and let the turbo cool back down after turning the car off.