GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 timing issue

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
Mod on car: jb4 & is38, DP
Issue: timing correction like crazy from 4500 rpm all the way to redline. I eliminate the gas issue, coil pack issue. Spark plugs gaps were 0.024 and 0.030 for each test and still got the same problem. However, on map 2 everything is perfect. On map 6, peak boost was only 19psi.
https://datazap.me/u/bigbearbigbutt/is38-timing-issue?log=1&data=1-4-25-26-27-28
(this link contains map 2 and map6 (name as 1))

Any idea is welcome. I have been chasing the issues from the first day installing the turbo. Is it possible the Brisk er12s spark plugs don't work well with is38? Time for me saving to get a real tune :D

Thanks,

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Mod on car: jb4 & is38, DP
Issue: timing correction like crazy from 4500 rpm all the way to redline. I eliminate the gas issue, coil pack issue. Spark plugs gaps were 0.024 and 0.030 for each test and still got the same problem. However, on map 2 everything is perfect. On map 6, peak boost was only 19psi.
https://datazap.me/u/bigbearbigbutt/is38-timing-issue?log=1&data=1-4-25-26-27-28
(this link contains map 2 and map6 (name as 1))

Any idea is welcome. I have been chasing the issues from the first day installing the turbo. Is it possible the Brisk er12s spark plugs don't work well with is38? Time for me saving to get a real tune :D

Thanks,
Tried ethanol?
set 6cyl timing to 1?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Set 6cyl timing to 1 already. I don’t want to go with ethanol yet until the problem is solved. People have run is20 jb4 more boost than me and still fine.

Aren't you still on 91 octane though? I only have my targets at 20 psi peak on 93 octane. I hit 19.x max. Any higher and I lose timing. I tried 92 octane before and lost timing compared to 93. My guess is that the 91 octane just can't handle boost above 4,500. I'm not sure why you are opposed to using ethanol. That is most likely the fix for your issue. Plus it would truly tell you if it was the fuel causing it or something else. Also, the whole point of the injectors was the ability to run ethanol. Stock injectors handle the 93 octane boost limits no problem.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
oof, yea you should be able to run a lot more boost than that with the IS38. I don't know what could be wrong, there aren't many people running an IS38 on the 1.8t with only a JB4, it could be that this is the limit of what conditions the stock tune can compensate for with a piggyback (definitely don't quote me on that).