GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MN Thread

rabidbunny

Passed Driver's Ed
The performance driving is typically at Dakota County Technical College (DCTC) which is about 15 minutes from my house. For BIR, you will need to flush your brakes within 90 days of the event preferably with a high temp fluid. On your tire question, our cars don't have much ability to adjust camber with the stock suspension. This means you will put increased wear on the outside edges of your tire tread. Rotating the tires over the course of the weekend is a great way to work around this. Stock pads are fine if this is your first time at the track, but you will quickly overwork your stock pads as you pick up speed and skill set.
DCTC is much less taxing since it is a fairly short and tight course. Send me a PM when your going to attend one of these events if you would like to chat more.

The Ringer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Cool. Thanks for the help! I didn't even know about DCTC (I am up here near Duluth). I'll check that out, too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J.Iverson

Mine is Oryx White. I'll get some pics up. So far really loving the car, already put 3,000 miles on it. I had a 2012 CC before this. I'll send a request to get on the MNVW facebook site.

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Thought I would chime in! Purchased a 2016 Golf 1.8T in December. Loving it so far! Currently just running the APR Stage 1 tune, and Magnaflow cat back.

ArcticFoxMN

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI 6MT PP Auto
Hi,

New to the VW world as well! Don't worry, dealer plate frames long gone. See plenty of GTI/R's in the South Metro, and quite a few at work (well, thousands of cars in the garage, so have to assume there will be some!)

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP
Anyone have an independent mechanic they recommend in the MSP area? I'm still under warranty (Westside), but would like to use somebody else for less complicated work.

I'm near Hopkins, Eden Prairie.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Anyone have an independent mechanic they recommend in the MSP area? I'm still under warranty (Westside), but would like to use somebody else for less complicated work.

I'm near Hopkins, Eden Prairie.

I know this a really delayed response, but there are a couple of VW oriented shops around the cities, i.e. Further Performance, Nur Technik, Imola, and German Auto Works to name a few.

Personally I wouldn't get any real work done at a place that doesn't specialize in VW's.

I believe they all do regular service items, however I doubt they are that much cheaper than the dealer.

I've definitely had frustrations with Westside before (been there many, many times with my former Jetta), but just in case you don't know, you should be able to go to any VW dealer and get warranty covered work, not just the one you purchased from. I got my car from Brookside VW and they've done just fine with service so far. They are a newer dealership, too.

If you're worried about simple things getting screwed up, throwing money down the drain, or your car getting damaged just from being in at the dealer, you may want to just learn how to do some of the simpler items yourself, as well, assuming that isn't the case already.

-Nick

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
thought I'd say hi to you guys, you guys should check out MNVW there's a few of us that are in that group.

Come find me at cars and coffee in May to say hi! Plate is SCHWABO on a Lapiz blue R ;)

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
thought I'd say hi to you guys, you guys should check out MNVW there's a few of us that are in that group.

Come find me at cars and coffee in May to say hi! Plate is SCHWABO on a Lapiz blue R ;)

Will definitely be at cars and coffee. Automotorplex is such a cool facility and I would like to meet some other local mk7 owners. I went for the first time last summer (had no idea such a place existed) and now I'm hooked.

Btw I think I've seen you're car there before. The schwabo plate rings a bell.

-Nick

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
yeah last year I had a red R there with different wheels every month LOL. This year I should be there in my blue one .. same plate :)

You're welcome to meet up with the MNVW crew at Joey Nova's Pizza, seems to be the go to hangout during the winter months.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
yeah last year I had a red R there with different wheels every month LOL. This year I should be there in my blue one .. same plate :)

You're welcome to meet up with the MNVW crew at Joey Nova's Pizza, seems to be the go to hangout during the winter months.

Yeah I was gonna say I thought I remembered it being red haha

I'd meet up with you guys and see what MNVW is about :D

Next time you're going PM me the info if you want and I'll try and join ya

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
Will do, I'll PM you my number and it would be easier to meet up that way.

Its a great group of guys, more about friendship than cars.

Look forward to meeting ya!

Cheers!