GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 08-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #1
Madhatter

Drives: 2017 Volkswagen GTI SE
Roof Rack Recommendations

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum so bare with me.

I got a 2017 Volkswagen GTi SE back in November of last year.
I've done some cosmetic modifications already and my next purchase i think is going to be a roof rack. This is my second car and i've never had a roof rack on an any vehicle.

Is there certain fitment requirements that i need to know before purchasing a roof rack?

I really like the look of a roof rack on the MK7 and would appreciate any insight as to what which rack i should purchase.

If you guys could help me out with any recommendations or info before purchasing one i would appreciate it.

Based on my limited knowledge, i know that they can range from $200-$300+

I'm looking to spend around the same amount - Maybe more if its worth it.

Thanks
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:35 PM   #2
ACE

Drives: 2016 GTI audobahn
Subscribed! Needing the same info as well. Also want to add one of those sleek looking box/containers for extra storage every now and then

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:37 AM   #3
NCR-R

Drives: 2017 Golf R
I recently got the OEM VW one for my R and like it. Got it used off Kijiji so the price was right. Easy to install and remove and from what other VW owners I know have said it does less damage to the paint than many of the others. Does make a bit more wind noise over some of the other more expensive ones but that wasn't a concern for me since I don't keep it on all the time anyways. Lots of 3rd-party accessories will work with it as well.
NCR-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:48 AM   #4
Gti jake

Drives: GTI 6MT
I'd skip the OEM one. It's the highest profile (so the loudest and biggest hit on fuel mileage) and doesn't really have a fairing option without getting creative.

I got a Rhino rack for free and love it. I bought a Thule Force L and some kayak J hooks and use it quite a bit. Zero wind noise with my set up in any configuration. Which is a far cry from previous OEM VW racks I've owned

free photo website hosting
Old 08-31-2017, 01:19 AM   #5
abt12

Are you using the roof rack for a box and/or skis, or just bikes? If bikes, I'd strongly recommend looking into hitch racks instead. Made the switch on my mk6 and it was SO much better. You'll want a tray style rack like 1upusa or kuat nv.
abt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
sprinks

Drives: GTI Mk7
Honestly, the mk7 oem rack doesn't make that much noise when torqued and installed properly. Massive improvements over the mk5/mk6 racks. Still makes a little noise, but nothing that ever bothered me, even at highway speeds. YMMV

I went with the mk7 rack coupled with a kuat vagabond for added capacity on top as well as ability to shuttle two bikes around with relative ease. Makes those bike/camping trips very nice.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:41 PM   #7
Madhatter

Thanks for all the replies so far. Thule and Yakima seem to be the name brand names but seem to charge an arm and a leg. I'm not trying to go cheap but will keep on exploring my options.

Are different bars and clips interchangeable?

Can someone explain to me how exactly OEM racks work? I've seen people talk about OEM vw Votex roof racks(i think this is the name). Is there different types or just you can purchase a whole kit?

Excuse my ignorance.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:07 PM   #8
jovian

Drives: 2016 GTI
I'm running the OEM rack with two Kuat rails for my bikes. Rack is great value and noise is average. A lot of the aftermarket clips I didn't like or were absurdly priced.

If you are getting it for bikes avoid the OEM rails, they are super restrictive
jovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
sprinks

Drives: GTI Mk7
votex was the old name for vw oem accessories. Some people still call it votex. :shrug: OEM racks come as a complete kit for your car (bars and towers are one part really). Aftermarket bars and clips tend to not be interchangeable with other brands. Typically if you get a thule set of crossbars, you have to get thule towers that attach to the vehicle. Nice thing is, if you sell the vehicle, only thing you need for next vehicle is new towers (provided crossbars still fit).

OEM racks have mount points in your door's rails that wedge between the rain seal and the door seal. They're flat enough and wide enough that moisture barrier is not compromised. The towers attached to the bars are keyed, you use the key to remove the covers, install the tower/bars across the vehicle, torque it down using the torque wrench supplied, and then reinstall the tower covers. This is the basic procedure for the crossbars. From there, you can install whatever roof accessories (racks, boxes, etc).
Old 08-31-2017, 08:42 PM   #10
vbrad26

Drives: '15 CSG 2dr 6MT GTI
OEM Thule rack with Thule fork mount bike carriers.
Running the Inno medium fairing that is easily installed on the OEM bar.

Had it without the fairing for a while and it was a bit noisy at highway speeds but once I found the Inno (medium) fairing it helped tremendously.
vbrad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:57 PM   #11
off_the_grid

Drives: MK7 GTI - PP, 5dr, 6SP, Reflex Silver
I have OEM bars and bike carriers, bought used on the forum. Wind noise is an issue if you have a sunroof. I can not drive with the sunroof open over 50km/h, sounds like I'm under the runway at the airport.
With the roof closed, there is added the noise, but not as noticeable.
I will be looking for a fairing for my next trip. I am surprised that VW doesn't offer a fairing, considering the noise this set up creates.

When shopping, be aware that there is a difference in mounting for 2 door and 4 door Golf/GTI.
off_the_grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:03 PM   #12
Gberg2119

I picked up oem bars and a rockymounts brass knuckles bike mount.

Both will likely go on the car this weekend.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Gberg2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:47 PM   #13
zimmie2652

Drives: 2015 GTI S
I love my Yakima setup. Got the snowboard attachments for winter, hoping to have a kayak or two in the garage come Christmas time and still need to get a bike attachment for it though. For when the fiancÚ isn't around and I can't take her car with the hitch rack. Quiet as all hell too.

Check out rackattack.com for great pricing as well.

Future: is38, wheels & tires, coils/springs (undecided)
zimmie2652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:03 AM   #14
NCR-R

Just drove 800km with the OEM one and I don't know what people are hearing when they say it's loud... could barely hear it with the stereo off. Didn't notice any increased fuel consumption either (well nothing drastic enough to notice clearly).
If it's installed properly the price is hard to beat. Huge bonus is that the OEM one doesn't stick out over the side like the others which F-ING hurt on the head.
NCR-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:18 AM   #15
ACE

Drives: 2016 GTI audobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti jake View Post
I'd skip the OEM one. It's the highest profile (so the loudest and biggest hit on fuel mileage) and doesn't really have a fairing option without getting creative.

I got a Rhino rack for free and love it. I bought a Thule Force L and some kayak J hooks and use it quite a bit. Zero wind noise with my set up in any configuration. Which is a far cry from previous OEM VW racks I've owned

free photo website hosting
This is the setup im looking for! I like the box (idk what they are called) for added cargo and I love the low profile of the racks! Doesn't look weird if box isn't installed at the moment

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:33 AM   #16
Cuzin Eddie

Drives: Tundra
I have the OEM and I love the simplicity of use. I put PPF on the areas where the racks touch the car and where the fairing sits on the hood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cuzin Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #17
Madhatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzin Eddie View Post
I have the OEM and I love the simplicity of use. I put PPF on the areas where the racks touch the car and where the fairing sits on the hood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
do you have a link for where you bought them from? looks great.

Tags
roof rack