GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 11-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #18
vol245

Drives: 2015 Golf TSI S
I jut installed GE Nighthawk (H755NH) bulbs on my 2015 Golf S and they are much better than the stock bulbs. I drive in very rural and dark areas. Today was the first day that I felt comfortable with my low beams.

I got them at RockAuto and the two bulbs were $20.95 shipped. If they last a year, I'm ok with that. They have other bulbs too such as the Philips X-treme Vision. I thought I would give the lower priced bulbs a shot and am very happy with the results.
vol245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #19
seanmcd
Banned

Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn
Philips Xtreme. The end. Do not waste money on anything else. They are about $28 on Amazon.
seanmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:04 PM   #20
Crudulous

Drives: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcd View Post
Philips Xtreme. The end. Do not waste money on anything else. They are about $28 on Amazon.
+1. Use them daily now and they're very clear.
Crudulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #21
Shane_Anigans

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Once upon a time, I upgraded the halogen bulbs on my old car with "brighter" ones; they were Sylvania Silverstars as I recall. They were a bit brighter, but they only lasted 4-6 months. I'd go with HID conversions, which are the cost of maybe 2 years worth of "upgrade" halogens but will last much longer.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:02 AM   #22
seanmcd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_Anigans View Post
Once upon a time, I upgraded the halogen bulbs on my old car with "brighter" ones; they were Sylvania Silverstars as I recall. They were a bit brighter, but they only lasted 4-6 months. I'd go with HID conversions, which are the cost of maybe 2 years worth of "upgrade" halogens but will last much longer.
Yes, wasted a few dollars on Silverstars. Joined a class action lawsuit about them as well. This was years ago, no idea if they have improved but they never lasted for shit. Philips Xtreme lasted as long as standard oem bulbs for me. I would eventually change them after I felt it had just been too long - but they were still working fine after two years or more. HID conversions simply aren't cool for regular non-projector housings due to the fact that you blind the shit out of people on coming towards you, not cool. Stick with the Philips Xtremes.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:54 PM   #23
daujin229

Drives: 2016 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinks View Post
I do.
Central convenience (9) -> adaptations (10) ->
Leuchte6 and Leuchte7 dimmwert AB from 100 to max value 127
This is essentially removing the bulb saver function vw programs in from factory. That combined with the +130 bulbs and the halogens become livable. Lifespan of bulb is not noticeably affected in my experience.
Just did this coding to my car with OBDeleven. I still have the stock halogen bulbs (just purchased the +130 bulbs). But I didn't really notice a difference.
daujin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #24
mk7matteo

Drives: 2016 GTI Tornado Red 6MT
Nokya Arctic White have worked well for me
Old 11-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #25
sharingan625

Drives: 2017 | GTI S | White | MT
I am also looking to get the headlight bulbs replaced, but a couple of videos I've watched suggest that I need remove the whole headlight housing replace the bulbs which I really don't want to do... Is it really impossible to swap bulbs without removing the entire housing?
sharingan625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:39 PM   #26
darth_furious

Drives: 2015 gsw tdi s
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingan625 View Post
I am also looking to get the headlight bulbs replaced, but a couple of videos I've watched suggest that I need remove the whole headlight housing replace the bulbs which I really don't want to do... Is it really impossible to swap bulbs without removing the entire housing?
I done it without removing the housing. It is tight in there if you have medium to large hands. I scraped/cut my knuckles working on it. I say give it a try.
darth_furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #27
sprinks

Drives: GTI Mk7
I've also replaced bulbs in the halogen housings without pulling the entire headlight. Totally feasible.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #28
sharingan625

Drives: 2017 | GTI S | White | MT
cool. i will try it out. thank you guys!
sharingan625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:35 AM   #29
Shane_Anigans

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcd View Post
HID conversions simply aren't cool for regular non-projector housings due to the fact that you blind the shit out of people on coming towards you, not cool. Stick with the Philips Xtremes.
Ohhhhh right, forgot the halogen lights had reflector housings. Yeah, definitely do not put HIDs or LEDs in those.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #30
seanmcd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk7matteo View Post
Nokya Arctic White have worked well for me
Never buy a bulb that is completely coated in that ridiculous blue coating. That's the first sign that it's junk. Most of them REDUCE the amount of visible light you are putting on the road. Dangerous.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #31
daujin229

Drives: 2016 GTI DSG
Just installed new bulbs, Philips Xtreme +130%. Driver side was a pain in the ass with my fat fingers. But not as bad as I thought it would be. Just got to stick with it
daujin229 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulb, halogen bulbs, headlights, leds, lighting