GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI DSG Question

madracer

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys,

Over the last few weeks I have started to notice that when slowing down, and the DSG is downshifting from 3 to 2 (in D mode), it sort of "bangs" into gear.
Not very harsh, but you can feel it, sort of like a rough / hard downshift.
Does not do it in all the gears, or I have not felt it, only between 3 and 2.

This is intermittent though, so taking it to the dealer and trying to recreate the problem is a challenge.

Is this something to be concerned about?

(I have not tried it in S or Manual mode, but due to it being intermittent, not sure if it will happen when testing)

Thanks.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
That's always happened to me between 3rd and 2nd. When driving in manual mode, which I do at all times now except when crawling in a parking lot, it does the same thing if I allow the DSG to automatically downshift from 3rd to 2nd. However, if I manually downshift right before the DSG's programmed shift point, there's no jerk. It might have something to do with the DSG roughly disengaging the clutch immediately after it drops into 2nd gear, or at least that's how it feels like to me.

I've seen others complain about the same thing, so it's not worrisome to me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Others have posted about some sort of DSG reset using vcds or obdeleven. I haven't done it myself but obdeleven has an app for it as well. Maybe that will help?

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
If it's during braking, it may be the brake assist that the DSG is programmed to do. You can turn it off with VCDS or similar (not sure how, but I've heard of it being done). It's downshifting as you would in a manual to engine brake, when coming to a stop.

madracer

Passed Driver's Ed
Others have posted about some sort of DSG reset using vcds or obdeleven. I haven't done it myself but obdeleven has an app for it as well. Maybe that will help?

Glad that is maybe normal, and not something to be concerned about.
Any idea on the DSG reset process using VCDS?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Glad that is maybe normal, and not something to be concerned about.
Any idea on the DSG reset process using VCDS?

Search DSG adaptation (that's what it's called)

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
On the obdeleven app it says that the DSG temp needs to be within 30-100 Celsius. Not sure how to measure the temperature of the DSG but that's something to keep in mind when performing this reset.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
On the obdeleven app it says that the DSG temp needs to be within 30-100 Celsius. Not sure how to measure the temperature of the DSG but that's something to keep in mind when performing this reset.
I just realized the jb4 has a transmission temp gauge. So I will try this dsg reset later today.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
If it's during braking, it may be the brake assist that the DSG is programmed to do. You can turn it off with VCDS or similar (not sure how, but I've heard of it being done). It's downshifting as you would in a manual to engine brake, when coming to a stop.

Never heard of this before and can't find it. I know when in M if you coast to a stop, the engine will only downshift to not stall. In D the downshifts are a little more noticeable due to engine braking. It definitely helps to have upgraded mounts though.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I've heard about the DSG reset adaptations. I've never heard of being able to disable automatic DSG engine braking.

I think i heard of this and want to try it out. I just can't seem to find anything on it.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Never heard of this before and can't find it. I know when in M if you coast to a stop, the engine will only downshift to not stall. In D the downshifts are a little more noticeable due to engine braking. It definitely helps to have upgraded mounts though.

Maybe I misread this as the hydraulic brake assist, which can be disabled or decreased. I was reading it in a tracking/big brake thread at some point. Can't even find anything other than hydraulic assist, so I am pretty sure I am misremembering it.

Sorry about that.