GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roof Rack Paint Damage?

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
So I had the OEM VW roof rack on my car for a few months and after taking it off I noticed some hazing at all 4 corners. I couldn't get it off polishing by hand so I'll try my DA later in the week. Kinda pissed. :mad:

Is this a common occurrence? And yes, I washed and waxed the car prior to install.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Looks like trapped moisture from the feet caused issues with the clear coat.

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
Looks like trapped moisture from the feet caused issues with the clear coat.

Would it be better to just use the roof rack as necessary? Take it on and off whenever I want to go biking? Or does constantly removing and installing cause problems as well?

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Would it be better to just use the roof rack as necessary? Take it on and off whenever I want to go biking? Or does constantly removing and installing cause problems as well?

If it's going to cause that much damage having it fitted all the time I would only use it when needed.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
This is a common problem with virtually any rack on my cars, wet sand and polish then use clear paint protection on the paint before re install, there are pre cut films for this same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion

If you go biking once every few months then maybe, but if you are not careful and damage the paint while installing it on and off then that's an issue.

Protect the paint before you install a roof rack, do not just wax the paint

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
If you go biking once every few months then maybe, but if you are not careful and damage the paint while installing it on and off then that's an issue.

Protect the paint before you install a roof rack, do not just wax the paint

I usually bike at least once a week so taking it off and on is probably too much. Going to try polishing tomorrow with the DA.

Looks laminx sells vinyl squares for this. Hopefully it's thick enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Lamin-x-Roof-Guard-Paint-Protection/dp/B0136V37UO

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I usually bike at least once a week so taking it off and on is probably too much. Going to try polishing tomorrow with the DA.

Looks laminx sells vinyl squares for this. Hopefully it's thick enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Lamin-x-Roof-Guard-Paint-Protection/dp/B0136V37UO

Yeah is not worth the potential damage , first time I installed mine it slipped off my hands and I was lucky that I didn't scratch the paint .

I have the vinyl installed and it does work. Good luck

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
Oh man then I don't even want to know what mine looks like.
It's been on for 2 years straight lol...

Yeah I'd be scared to take that off.

I ended up polishing with the DA and got most of the haze out but there's some leftover marks. I guess I could try compound and a more aggressive pad? It looks pretty bad though. :(

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Mines damaged worse than that. First car of three brand new Volkswagen (two mk6 as well) I've installed a rack on WITH damage, but here's my two bits of incite.

A. When I decided to haul kayaks, my roof box, etc on the car I pretty much wrote off something would happen to the paint (it happens

B. Took a deep breath and realized it's just a daily driver, never gonna be a show car, and the slight imperfections are out weighed by the extra functionality I get with the rack.

It sucks. I mean I don't have an R, but a new gti isn't something I consider "cheap" and I still park it away from everyone to protect it from door dings, but l can live with some scuffs for a more practical fun daily

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
This is part of why I use hitch racks. They have their downsides too, but good ones like the Torklift are so well hidden it's not an issue (and I have the rack on the car for 3/4 of the year anyway!)

Of course, you're not going to carry Kayaks on them any time soon.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
I took my OEM rack off for the winter today after having it installed for ~2 months. I had the same marks in my paint as pictured above (mine is Deep Black Pearl though). I cleaned the car prior to installation just like the OP did. Luckily, I was able to get mine out with the DA using a red pad and a quick hit of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze followed by a more thorough HD Speed polish/wax.

Last edited: