GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) Comprehensive Thread

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure the stock boost on the Golf, but I believe it's somewhere near 12-14psi? Since each turbo is different and we don't have compressor maps, it's all theoretical and we can't really say if it was designed for one turbo or another, or if they're all pretty similar.

The PR will be lower on the lower boost cars and as we increase boost it raises the PR. Creating an artificial restriction pre-turbo increases the PR as well which is why when we increase the boost, lowering the restriction puts it near stock levels. This link is the thread where I go over the calculations and probably helps answer some questions you may have :)

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27549

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
So because of you, he's no longer oblivious? [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LMAO dude you're my favorite comedian on this forum

racerboy55

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed MST yesterday - really nice design and happy with improved spool, response and low/mid torque!

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
In case anyone is interested in what the inside of the cast APR unit looks like, pics below. I did buy a couple small files and some emery cloth and will try to smooth out some of those rough patches. Still not a fan of APR in general, but I do like their tapered design better than those that abruptly shrink near the turbo side.

AlienSP

Ready to race!
My APR TIP looked the same. I did some work on the casting flash before installation. You would think they would do a quick hone for the price. It shouldn't matter too much at the surface in regards to velocity- if laminar flow.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
My APR TIP looked the same. I did some work on the casting flash before installation. You would think they would do a quick hone for the price. It shouldn't matter too much at the surface in regards to velocity- if laminar flow.

Did the same to mine, although it wasn't too bad.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
I haven't done much digging for actual pressures, but does this logic hold true across the mk7 line? It seems the same part(5QM-129-635) is used in the Golf R that is used in the Golf. Does the pressure ratio that exists in the Golf R come close to that in the Golf?

I think it is very unlikely the inlet pipe was intended to increase pressure drop through the intake so that the PR would rise. The increase in PR doesn't just happen, the compressor has to be driven to spin faster, which isn't desirable as more work needs to be supplied by the turbine wheel to accomplish that.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Need help. Having fitment issues with APR TIP. I can put the stock piece back in easily but the APR pipe won't go. And I'm running out of light. Very frustrated. I broke the damn stock part removing the pcv hose.

Joel

Ready to race!
I'm sure you have checked for an oring or gasket from the stock TIP.
Will it line up but just not turn into place?
Where is the issue coming into play?

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Need help. Having fitment issues with APR TIP. I can put the stock piece back in easily but the APR pipe won't go. And I'm running out of light. Very frustrated. I broke the damn stock part removing the pcv hose.

Maybe you already saw, there is a notch of the side which you'll have to clear to insert/seat first and then you can twist to the right angle to align with the bolt. I hope that makes sense.

Will it line up but just not turn into place?
Had the same thought :)

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Right. I got the notches fine on the stock piece for practice. But the APR won't seat properly. Filing the tabs and getting fresh oil for the oring. Trying again... Fml

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Ok so huge thanks to @demi9od, as well as you gents in this thread. Based on his suggestion, I swapped o-rings with the oem piece. They look identical but the oem o-ring worked almost effortlessly - at least in comparison - even in the dark.

Ps. Also interesting that none of the install videos on YouTube show the "fun" parts.

AlienSP

Ready to race!
Now I think about it, the final "twist" of the new TIP took up the most time in the install.

Misslauren82

Ready to race!
Ok so huge thanks to @demi9od, as well as you gents in this thread. Based on his suggestion, I swapped o-rings with the oem piece. They look identical but the oem o-ring worked almost effortlessly - at least in comparison - even in the dark.

Ps. Also interesting that none of the install videos on YouTube show the "fun" parts.

I had the same issue with the APR o-ring awhile back. Super difficult to get on - swapped to the OEM one and managed to get it on.