GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunk on Mk7 Gti after installing Nuespeed racing springs.

Jens_mk7

I️ recently posted about this about a week ago but I️ have a video of my car making the noises on the bump as if something was not right after installing the springs. Took it back to the place I️ got it done and they said everything was put on right and to just mob the car. I’m still curious what’s causing this noise because every time it makes it it worries me and frustrates me. Can it be the strut mounts and bearings ? Or shocks? Or just bad installation? Here’s the link to the video. Please help me out. Thank you

https://youtu.be/rO09Z8iUfzU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murxidon

I get similar clunking noises after installing my coilovers. It seems to be a common thing from aftermarket suspension. If the noise does bother you, then i would suggest going to a different shop to get a second opinion.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
How many miles are on the strut bearings before the suspension install?

I've got coilovers and have no noise. Have you tried calling Neuspeed? They might have some insight.

Jens_mk7

How many miles are on the strut bearings before the suspension install?

I've got coilovers and have no noise. Have you tried calling Neuspeed? They might have some insight.

There was 46,000 miles before the install and I️ contacted them before and they said if installation was done correctly then should be normal but I’ve gotten so many people say it shouldn’t cause noise or any problems

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
They're two common installation errors on mk7.

One: loose swaybar endlinks

Two: Improperly torqued and or seated strut mount/bearing/top nut. It really comes down to being lazy. They try to install the new springs without putting spring compressors on. So rather that having the mount seated properly (and squarely) on the strut shaft (the mount's multiple pieces that only fit in a grove one way) they fight with it and use the nut to pull it down into place...this is a great way to bind the mount or improperly lock it together.

Then to make that even worse they use an impact to tighten the nut. Wrong wrong wrong. Here's why. Volkswagen gives a specific torque spec for the top nut, they're just assuming that they hit that torque before the strut shaft spins freely. Which is its own problem...spinning the shaft and strut bearing at 9,000 rpm wearing the seals and bearing WAY faster that the 5 RPM you'd get out of turning the steering wheel.

My self and others have covered this a ton of times. Without holding the springs out of the way and properly applying torque to the top nut more often than not you'll have the clunky suspension noise you described

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Two more things for reference. I've been lowered on VWR springs for 35,000 miles. 45,000 total on my car (and strut mounts/bearings) with zero suspension noises

If your mounts and bearings were worn out they would've made noise BEFORE the lazy install. Any clunks are a direct result of poor installation

Jens_mk7

They're two common installation errors on mk7.

One: loose swaybar endlinks

Two: Improperly torqued and or seated strut mount/bearing/top nut. It really comes down to being lazy. They try to install the new springs without putting spring compressors on. So rather that having the mount seated properly (and squarely) on the strut shaft (the mount's multiple pieces that only fit in a grove one way) they fight with it and use the nut to pull it down into place...this is a great way to bind the mount or improperly lock it together.

Then to make that even worse they use an impact to tighten the nut. Wrong wrong wrong. Here's why. Volkswagen gives a specific torque spec for the top nut, they're just assuming that they hit that torque before the strut shaft spins freely. Which is its own problem...spinning the shaft and strut bearing at 9,000 rpm wearing the seals and bearing WAY faster that the 5 RPM you'd get out of turning the steering wheel.

My self and others have covered this a ton of times. Without holding the springs out of the way and properly applying torque to the top nut more often than not you'll have the clunky suspension noise you described

This makes a lot of sense. Honestly. I️m going to go back to the shop and make them fix this because I️ have a feeling they didn’t do it the proper way. When I️ took it back to get it checked it took them 5 minutes to tell me that it was installed properly he drove it and drove it fast so he couldn’t hear it.. you only hear the noise at low speeds and turning and suck. so I️ didn’t believe them . But thank you I’ll look into more

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Easiest way might be to have the mechanic take a ride with you around the block. He might not know how to duplicate the clunk.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
Did you install new hardware?

I just installed Neuspeed Sport Springs with all new bolts and new bearings (car has 1,000 miles) and it is noise-free.