GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power figures

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
So I just did a very un-scientific analysis on the power-to-weight ratio comparison between the old and new car. I'm assuming that today's mk6 is 3100lbs dry (this is a generalization - 4dr/2dr and 6mt/dsg) and the mk7 is 2900lbs based on the "less than 200" lbs shaved as quoted in the press release. I'm also using US-spec mk6 power figures and EU-spec mk7 power figures, which historically are severely under-quoted. Therefore, take the following figures as comparison only.

Current GTI: 200 hp, 207 lb-ft, 3100 lbs
That's pushing about 15.5 lbs for each horse and 15 lbs for each lb-ft of twist.

mk7 GTI (stage 1): 217 hp, 258 lb-ft, 2900 lbs
Using the unofficial weight, that's about 13.4 lbs per horsepower and 11.2 lbs for each lb-ft of torque.

mk7 GTI (stage 2): 227 hp, 258 lb-ft, 2900 lbs
The stage 2 mk7 now has only 12.8 lbs per horsepower and the same lbs/lb-ft.

Here's the interesting part. Using the mk7 power-to-weight ratios and the current car's weight, we get a general idea of what the car might feel like based on power gains to the mk6 car. Keep in mind that this does not account for fuel, driver weight, or configurations. It doesn't even account for real wheel power. It doesn't tell you much about transients, either, where tires and boost characteristics play a part.

The mk7's power to weight ratio would feel like a 231hp/277lb-ft engine in the mk6.

The mk7 stage 2 would feel like 242hp/277lb-ft in the mk6.

Indefinite Conclusions: The new GTI will feel very similar to a stage 1 GTI in a straight line, and is still underpowered compared to some of today's competition; it appears that VAG are still focused on playing the handling game when it comes to performance of GTI brand, which is at least a consistent message.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I like your analysis. Its simple, but tells a good story. People normally look at the number game and think, "Oh, MS3 has more hp so immediately that must mean its a faster and better car" Which is hardly the case.

Some of the best cars I've driven on a test track have been lower powered Hondas. And I think with a good focus on handling a small power bump will be enough to suffice quicker times. But with more pwoer, comes more focus on reeling that power in, IE. LSD.

Currently my K04 is a beast in a straight line, but in the corners it has way too much torque and has obnoxious understeer out of corners. Without an LSD and XDS, I'm forced to dial down the power entering a turn. :( Not fun.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Yep, I can appreciate the handling game myself - coming from the beautiful back-town roads in New England. But now I don't live in NE, but Michigan. And the roads are STRAIGHT! :(

Haha anyways, I'm also interested in the shape of that torque band!! How can they bump to 258lb-ft and only add 17hp?! That must be a real beefy low end with an unfortunate high-end drop-off. A small turbo pushing bigger boost? I also saw in the release thread that the turbo is re-located - it looks higher-up in the engine bay, suggesting that they're focusing on extracting the most efficiency out of the design as possible. Can't wait to drive one! :D

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yep, I can appreciate the handling game myself - coming from the beautiful back-town roads in New England. But now I don't live in NE, but Michigan. And the roads are STRAIGHT! :(

Haha anyways, I'm also interested in the shape of that torque band!! How can they bump to 258lb-ft and only add 17hp?! That must be a real beefy low end with an unfortunate high-end drop-off. A small turbo pushing bigger boost? I also saw in the release thread that the turbo is re-located - it looks higher-up in the engine bay, suggesting that they're focusing on extracting the most efficiency out of the design as possible. Can't wait to drive one! :D

You can see IHI turbo stamped on it. I can almost guarantee they modified the compressor and turbine inlets and outlets in casting but kept the same cartidge. Really looking forward for a technical memo on this thing.

Becks

Ready to race!
Some of the best cars I've driven on a test track have been lower powered Hondas. And I think with a good focus on handling a small power bump will be enough to suffice quicker times. But with more pwoer, comes more focus on reeling that power in, IE. LSD.

For power to weight ratio on a track like Lime Rock, CT., or the now defunct Bridge Hampton, LI., track some of the most fun I had was in a Porsche (VW) 914.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
PCV routing looks REALLY robust

MKX

Passed Driver's Ed
I honestly don't care what it makes stock. 217 is dissapointing, but we're all going to tune it anyways. I hope this turbo has a little more top end than the last one. If this motor can make MK6 K04-ish numbers at stage 2, I'll be stoked.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
I honestly don't care what it makes stock. 217 is dissapointing, but we're all going to tune it anyways. I hope this turbo has a little more top end than the last one. If this motor can make MK6 K04-ish numbers at stage 2, I'll be stoked.

I basically agree. These better numbers only mean something to the stock crowd. If all they did was give it a better tune, they just eliminated some the gain a tune and k04 would add.

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
I don't know if you guys agree but Quality > Quantity.

I rather have a well built car with decent power than a car with lots of power with cheap assembly

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
Of course. Really hoping this thing is not assembled in Mexico and/or becomes another MK6 Jetta.

I'm not even sure the Puebla plant is equipped with the machinery to produce the MQB platform... I hope not anyways :(

I think it will be more cost effective for them to keep everything in one plant, when you think about. The reason we pay destination fee is part of transportion of the vehicle from one end to another.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
I'm not even sure the Puebla plant is equipped with the machinery to produce the MQB platform... I hope not anyways :(

I think it will be more cost effective for them to keep everything in one plant, when you think about. The reason we pay destination fee is part of transportion of the vehicle from one end to another.

That would be nice. I know the day will come when a GTI is not produced in Germany or even Eurpoe, I just pray I have moved on by then. :D