GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wookies in the Woods Review

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
Hey Folks,

I just want to give a non-paid shout out to the Wookies in the Woods folks. It was my first time. (And yes, I had an "oh shit" moment or two) I had a blast though and ultimately a very safe time.

It was such a joy to be on a road that seemed purpose built for the R. Mine is bone stock MK7R and I'm already dreaming of tunes and tires. From the Tail of the Dragon to the Rattler near Ashville, to the Cherohala Skyway - fun times just seemed to keep rolling (pun intended). Everything was smooth and well organized. My buddy even won the Haldex tune for his MK6R at the raffle and has been bragging ever since.

Fontana Village was a great spot too. I didn't feel like I needed any more amenities than they had because frankly I was busy putting on 1500 miles on the way there, during and back. The wifi was clutch because I was able to call out with the no cell service.

If you are interested in an event like this, then definitely make the call and come out. It is a great time to meet others who are interested in Rs, probably have way more knowledge than you, and are willing to share as much of that knowledge as possible.

Lastly, having the volunteer rescue folks there was great and I'm really glad that the event supports these great people. I hope that they continue to welcome us back. Because I'll be back every year if it is anything close to what this weekend was.

Thanks WITW! See you in April!

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
Pics or it didn't happen.
OP delivers. I even included a shot of a Mexican Lapiz Blue 2 door MK7.5 WITH a sunroof. Be jealous. I was...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Cool report, OP. Sounds fun.

Abilor

Passed Driver's Ed
VERY nice coverage. Thanks!

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I concur with this review. I had a great time on my 2nd WITW trip and the cruises to the Cherohala Skyway and then Highlands/Bridal Falls were great. Met some great people too!

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
@MiamiBourne - love the waterfall. Very cool.

That's Bridal Veil Falls. In the past you could drive under it, but they put a barricade because of falling rocks.

It's a nice drive there too. It's one of the routes they posted on the WITW website, The Highlands. If you look at the map it incorporates the 'Devil's Triangle'. It's a nice 4hr loop.

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
That's Bridal Veil Falls. In the past you could drive under it, but they put a barricade because of falling rocks.

It's a nice drive there too. It's one of the routes they posted on the WITW website, The Highlands. If you look at the map it incorporates the 'Devil's Triangle'. It's a nice 4hr loop.

Very cool. We went to the Rattler near Ashville and that was fun. I want to drive the Skyway next year when it is dry. The road out from the Village to the Skyway is a blast too.

Also they just posted the date for next year (April 19th) and you can book at Fontana now.

Also, found a picture of your car on Wookies Facebook when I was looking for mine. :) witw.jpg

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
That 2 door ��

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Very cool. We went to the Rattler near Ashville and that was fun. I want to drive the Skyway next year when it is dry. The road out from the Village to the Skyway is a blast too.

Also they just posted the date for next year (April 19th) and you can book at Fontana now.

Also, found a picture of your car on Wookies Facebook when I was looking for mine. :)

Yep, I found that pic too!

Yeah, I tried to book my cabin yesterday and they were so overwhelmed with calls that they took my name down and said they would call me back today. They normally don't post the dates until November/December but they said Fontana asked them to post them early so they don't get blasted...well they are getting blasted now! Lol.

My friend in the ST who joined us this year for his first time was like 'book now', even though he doesn't have an R or VW he loved the event and I'm sure anyone would if they are into cars and like driving these roads.