GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought Mk7 gti....help me with wheel choice.

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
So...a long term corvette owner...just switched to the gti, bought a nice cerified 2105 with pp package in carbon steel. I am really enjoying this car. Last vette was an 11 grandsport w the 6speed auto...a real rush when you stomped on it , but a little impractical at this time. The gti up to 80 feels very satisfying around town, of course, the vette would absolutely destroy it after about 70mph, but I am planning to get a jb 4 to give me a little more.
Would like to upgrade wheels to 18x8 enkei rajins...I am considering the hyper black, which in photos looks like a gunmetal finish. Will run 235's on them....here is a photo of a car like mine with this look. Let me know your opinions.

here's the link to the photo:

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/521080619372504601/

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
I went from a 01 Roadster to GTI Autobahn, absolutely love my little go-cart!!!
Wheels, someone had just posted some hyper black wheels the other week. Gorgeous colour, had I not just purchased a set I could have gone for those in a heartbeat!!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
So...a long term corvette owner...just switched to the gti, bought a nice cerified 2105 with pp package in carbon steel. I am really enjoying this car. Last vette was an 11 grandsport w the 6speed auto...a real rush when you stomped on it , but a little impractical at this time. The gti up to 80 feels very satisfying around town, of course, the vette would absolutely destroy it after about 70mph, but I am planning to get a jb 4 to give me a little more.
Would like to upgrade wheels to 18x8 enkei rajins...I am considering the hyper black, which in photos looks like a gunmetal finish. Will run 235's on them....here is a photo of a car like mine with this look. Let me know your opinions.

here's the link to the photo:

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/521080619372504601/

Go 18x8.5 et45'ish, you'll get more of the 235 tread width working for you. Plus you can be flush without spacers or longer lug bolts. You also have the option to go for 245's with an 8.5" wheel.

Conti Extreme Contact Sports for instance have 8.1" tread width when measured on a 8.5" wheel. Indy 500's have 7.8" TW, PS4S have 8" TW, P-Zero's 8.5" TW. You don't want TW wider than your wheel or turn in will get softer and responsiveness decreases.

Neuspeed are popular because they fit our hubs, bolt patterns, and lug bolts out of the box. Most everything else will require hub centering rings and conical lug bolts.

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
Go 18x8.5 et45'ish, you'll get more of the 235 tread width working for you. Plus you can be flush without spacers or longer lug bolts. You also have the option to go for 245's with an 8.5" wheel.

Conti Extreme Contact Sports for instance have 8.1" tread width when measured on a 8.5" wheel. Indy 500's have 7.8" TW, PS4S have 8" TW, P-Zero's 8.5" TW. You don't want TW wider than your wheel or turn in will get softer and responsiveness decreases.

Neuspeed are popular because they fit our hubs, bolt patterns, and lug bolts out of the box. Most everything else will require hub centering rings and conical lug bolts.

Thanks for the input so far.....I do like the neuspeed res10 look as well...so enkeis are not "hubcentric"?

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
Also want a slightly gentler ride....am considering the michelin pss, conti extreme contact, or indy 500 tires. Currently have some really hard riding hankook's S1 nobles on it. I am wondering if I might even be happier with 245's vs 235's.

I drove my vettes year round (not in snow or ice) our weather is moderate, but will go down to the 20's occasionally. This is on michelin pss tires...never had a problem, but you have to use good judgement in colder weather. I will probably keep my stock wheels for the winter months on the VW.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the input so far.....I do like the neuspeed res10 look as well...so enkeis are not "hubcentric"?

Yeah, hardly anything is hubcentric to our 57.1mm hub without hubcentric rings. Aftermarket wheels are mass produced and usually have larger bores to accommodate more vehicles. There is nothing wrong with running hubcentric rings, especially on wheels that don't need spacers. It does get slightly more complicated to run spacers and hubcentric rings.

There is a good reason the RSE10 are some of the most popular wheels for our cars, the fit is pretty much perfect and they are light.

VMR are also popular for the same reasons.

https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/18x8-5-vmr-v810-wheels-gunmetal-5x112-et45-57-1
https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/18x8-5-vmr-v801-wheels-mercury-black-metallic-5x112-et45-57-1

Also want a slightly gentler ride....am considering the michelin pss, conti extreme contact, or indy 500 tires. Currently have some really hard riding hankook's S1 nobles on it. I am wondering if I might even be happier with 245's vs 235's.

I drove my vettes year round (not in snow or ice) our weather is moderate, but will go down to the 20's occasionally. This is on michelin pss tires...never had a problem, but you have to use good judgement in colder weather. I will probably keep my stock wheels for the winter months on the VW.

245s are pushing it size wise, but on stock suspension they will be no problem. Only issue is your speedo will read a couple MPH slow. I run Nokian zLines in 235 right now and they are a quiet and well behaved tire. Never had anything stickier to compare them too though, so I am not sure how they measure up to Conti's or PSS. Agree with keeping stockers for winter and going summers on aftermarket wheels, that's what I do.

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
Tough choice between the enkeis and neuspeed...then there is the color, hyper black, vs bronze vs gunmetal.. One thing I notice is that the center of the wheel is further out than the tire...a real recipe for mega curb rash.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Tough choice between the enkeis and neuspeed...then there is the color, hyper black, vs bronze vs gunmetal.. One thing I notice is that the center of the wheel is further out than the tire...a real recipe for mega curb rash.

Rajins come in 18x8.5 et42 as well as 18x8 et45. Wheel poking further than tire is just a function of tire size. Wider tire will prevent that.

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
Every wheel you’ve got a good chance to rash and
as they say “pay to play”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
I am very happy with the rse 10 in 18x8.5 with 245/40 Indy 500s. that wheel and tire size combo gives an almost perfect 90 deg sidewall.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I am very happy with the rse 10 in 18x8.5 with 245/40 Indy 500s. that wheel and tire size combo gives an almost perfect 90 deg sidewall.

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
TSW Nurburgrings look nice too. I have 245/40/18 ps4s on 18x8 wheels (not TSWs). They're grippy, ride smooth on stock suspension, and close the gap a little. Car rolls more in the rear from the extra grip, I'd recommend a rear sway.

My thread with pics of 245/40/18s on stock suspension
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40665