GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Touch Up Paint From Body Shop - Durability question

wlfpck

Ready to race!
I have a rock chip on my rocker panel (not on the textured part) that was down to primer.

I'm looking to get this touched up since the touch up paint by Dr. Color Chip and Langka are all solvent based paints and pretty much come off if a solvent is exposed (like rubbing alcohol). This is an issue since I work in chemical plants and refineries.

I'm looked into a couple body shops and was told by some that they would primer and repaint the whole section. Which means basically the rear quarter panel as well.

The last 2 body shops I talked to said they can touch it up so it won't be noticeable from say 3 feet away.

The first shop said they would tape off the paint chip, take some base coat and mix it into the clear coat to spray on the chip.

The second shop said that they can just brush in the base coat, then brush on the clear coat mixed with hardener.

Does it work like the first body shop said? Would mixing in the base coat interfere with the clear coat's ability to catalyze once the hardener is mixed in?

In both shop's cases, no primer is going to be brushed on or sprayed.

Currently I have the paint chip sealed with a polyurethane clear coat, so no worries about rust. It's just the gray dot (primer is gray) on a pure white car is really annoying to look at.