GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will they clear

Nickmk7atl

Passed Driver's Ed
18x9.5 et42 will they clear up front and in the rear? Airlift suspension. Pp brakes also. Getting the front fenders rolled and pulled also. Running 215 40 18s all around

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
215s on 9.5s... why?

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I hope this is a show car because the max rim width for a 215\40\18 is 8.5 most 215\40\18 are 8.6 in sectional width. So your driving on the side walls on 18x9.5 rim.

Also you ran 215\40\18's on your MK6 with a 9.5 wide rim?

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Yea it is. I got a mk4 that I daily so the mk7 really just gets out the garage on the weekends. So a 225 40 would be more practical?

I wouldn't go any more narrow than 235/40 on a 9.5" wheel. As to whether 235/40R18 on a 9.5" wheel will clear the front, I can't say.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Yea it is. I got a mk4 that I daily so the mk7 really just gets out the garage on the weekends. So a 225 40 would be more practical?

It would be better than the 215 but it's still out of spec. I don't know about the 42 offset. but I'm sure there are some people that can chime in about that.

If you look at the tire below on tirerack and go to the spec tab you can see what the recommended rim width for each tire size.. 235\40\18 seems to be safe for 9.5 wide rim.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE980AS&partnum=14WR8RE980ASXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I'm surprised that tire doesn't pop off the rim that's just to dangerous.

No idea what size tires he has but yeah, it looks absurd to me.

Nickmk7atl

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea my thing is that I ran 205 40 18 up front on my gli with a 18x8.5 et36 and a 18x9.5 et30 on 215 40 18 in the rear no problems.I'm just curious about whether the offset will clear the pp brakes

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
18" et42 should have no problems clearing the PP brakes. the stock wheels are et49, but they have a very flat face. Concave face will require a lower offset, but et42 should be fine regardless of spoke design.

I'd be more worried about strut on wheel contact.

You'll be 18mm closer to the struts than the stock setup, and poke 17mm more than the stock setup with a flush kit.

The guy that was running 18x10 et26 was 9mm closer than stock setup to struts and poked 40mm more than stock + flush kit. DM him and try asking him if he had another 10mm of room to work with between wheel and strut.

Last edited:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Yea my thing is that I ran 205 40 18 up front on my gli with a 18x8.5 et36 and a 18x9.5 et30 on 215 40 18 in the rear no problems.I'm just curious about whether the offset will clear the pp brakes

Any pics of this?

I would be concerned with sidewall failure or the tire coming off the wheel.

If you end up hurting a passenger in your car or someone else on the road you’re really opening up yourself to liability running that far out of spec.