GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20.. or Jump to IS38

Hotwire1

Passed Driver's Ed
SO, Im going to stay with the IS20. Perhaps I will do some research on the upgrading of it to Hybrid. I will have to look into an IC, and the few "Fun Upgrades" like a DV and Turbo Muffler Delete and so on. Ill have all this ready for when I do my install.

Im waiting till Im finished my 1st servicing and inspection. AS there are some rattles and noises I want the dealer to look into and fix if possible. And... having this stuff installed will SURLY have me tagged.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Do Cobb and ED support the 1.8s?

If so, spend that APR money on Cobb or ED and sell the JB4.

nope, Cobb continually commits they will not support the 1.8t platform. I've heard ED will have something. I've had APR on previous cars and would use them again without hesitation. I have several local apr tuners who I work with regularly .

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
FYI :

1.8 TSI : Bore 82.5mm x Stroke 84.1mm w/ die-forged steel crankshaft with five 58 mm mains

2.0 TSI : Bore 82.5mm by Stroke 92.8mm w/ die-forged steel crankshaft with five 58 mm mains

The HPFP on the 1.8 is only 170 Bar, where as on the 2.0 its 190 Bar. Again, an easy up grade.

So, with a Crank, Rods and HPFP from one of the 2.0 TSI's you can bump your 1.8 up to 2.0 easy.

It looks like there are A LOT more veh. using the 2.0 TSI then the 1.8... Application wise any ways. So, finding these in the wreckers soon will be possible and the parts for the upgrade.. should be cheap too.

Do we know for a fact that this is an easy upgrade or even a bolt on?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Etuners has tuned the 1.8 overseas. Not sure what they use to tune, but I reached out to them and they have a dealer in the US who would be able to do this. All my mod plans have been put on hold, so never got around to pursuing.
Maybe someone else willing to be a guinea pig. Maybe even go Hybrid is38. Tomoika, Boss et al

https://m.facebook.com/etunersusa/

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Your car is super impressive for an IS20. With a hybrid IS38, you could very well start to exceed the limits of certain things, such as the stock fuel system, DSG clutch packs or engine internals. Don't forget the 1.8t has a cast iron crank whereas the 2.0T cars have a forged steel crank. Then like you mentioned you'd need to get custom tuning. Then pretty soon your super reliable low 12 second wagon that drives like stock becomes an inconsistent and unreliable money pit race car. Not worth it to me.

I decided to go IS20 like you. I picked one up from an A3 2.0T which only had 240 miles for $300 shipped. I'm on a budget so I'm only going with the IS20 and APR ECU tune which is actually on sale right now. If I can find a cheap JB1, I may stack it but not sure if the stock TCU will stay happy. I'll be happy with mid to high 12's at 105 MPH or so. Should be interesting to see how much all the other mods you made helped you with the IS20, such as the downpipe, intercooler, turbo inlet pipe etc. My gut tells me very little but we shall see soon.

For what it’s worth.. I have an is20 (and currently hold the record for the quickest 1/4 time) but I wish I went with an is38.

I’m guessing I’m making approx apr is38 type numbers, with a very little bit of room to improve. From what I’ve seen, you aren’t going to notice the slight lag you get with a 1.8t+is38, and if you did, you’d quickly forget about it when you wind it out.

However to really take FULL advantage of the is38 on our cars it seems like at this point you’ll need some sort of protune, which isn’t yet available.

Like mentioned above, ideally a hybrid is20 would be best, but I can’t even find a place to buy one, and tuning it to take full advantage of that turbo isn’t even available..

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Everything I've read online says the 2.0T cars have a forged steel crank whereas the 1.8T has a cast iron crank...

FYI :

1.8 TSI : Bore 82.5mm x Stroke 84.1mm w/ die-forged steel crankshaft with five 58 mm mains

2.0 TSI : Bore 82.5mm by Stroke 92.8mm w/ die-forged steel crankshaft with five 58 mm mains

The HPFP on the 1.8 is only 170 Bar, where as on the 2.0 its 190 Bar. Again, an easy up grade.

So, with a Crank, Rods and HPFP from one of the 2.0 TSI's you can bump your 1.8 up to 2.0 easy.

It looks like there are A LOT more veh. using the 2.0 TSI then the 1.8... Application wise any ways. So, finding these in the wreckers soon will be possible and the parts for the upgrade.. should be cheap too.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
For what it’s worth.. I have an is20 (and currently hold the record for the quickest 1/4 time) but I wish I went with an is38.

I’m guessing I’m making approx apr is38 type numbers, with a very little bit of room to improve. From what I’ve seen, you aren’t going to notice the slight lag you get with a 1.8t+is38, and if you did, you’d quickly forget about it when you wind it out.

However to really take FULL advantage of the is38 on our cars it seems like at this point you’ll need some sort of protune, which isn’t yet available.

Like mentioned above, ideally a hybrid is20 would be best, but I can’t even find a place to buy one, and tuning it to take full advantage of that turbo isn’t even available..

If you don't mind answering, what are all of the mods you have done to set that record?

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion

BoomGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Lol. He said hoping to break into the 12’s. I would say mission accomplished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I think that day I went, I was able to run a 12.7 @107 I believe. Horrible track weather that day.

I went again in the fall with perfect turbo weather, and by that time I had fine tuned the jb4 stack a little more, and got a lot of runs in that day. I was running sub 12.5 the whole morning at anywhere from 107-111 depending on tire pressure.

My main goal for my car was/is to be like a actual stage 1-2 golf r wagon that I wish we got here, while being a perfect daily driver that my wife can drive too and not even realize it’s modded. I’m pretty much at the point, and I’m always being conscious of how far I can go before it becomes an unreliable “race car”... but unfortunately piece by piece I’m getting closer to that point. Luckily I don’t beat on it very often, and it’s been very reliable up to this point. I honestly don’t see myself swapping out turbos again unless this one blows, which I hope doesn’t happen for a while.

BoomGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I decided to go IS20 like you. I picked one up from an A3 2.0T which only had 240 miles for $300 shipped. I'm on a budget so I'm only going with the IS20 and APR ECU tune which is actually on sale right now. If I can find a cheap JB1, I may stack it but not sure if the stock TCU will stay happy. I'll be happy with mid to high 12's at 105 MPH or so. Should be interesting to see how much all the other mods you made helped you with the IS20, such as the downpipe, intercooler, turbo inlet pipe etc. My gut tells me very little but we shall see soon.

If at all possible get the TCU tune. It makes a world of a difference I’m my opinion. Not sure how much all the extra things helped. I’m really excited to see other people get to the track and see how they do! I did all of the mods (except the jb4) at once within the first few hundred miles after I bought the car, so I have no sense of how much each piece may or may not have added..

Hotwire1

Passed Driver's Ed
So do we have any light on the swap of the crank and rods from a 2.0 into a 1.8?

I can get my hands on a complete block and rotating mass.