Did the F1 car even stop. Damn.

E1 is too funny. Wonder how many car fires there have been so far

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Thought this was interesting.

Nascar - real men working.

Or so they'd like you to believe, because it fits their blue-collar narrative. The real reason NASCAR pit stops are so long is because it allows them to display the sponsor logos more clearly while the car is sitting still. If they could get away with making the mechanics use 4-way wrenches on the lug nuts, they probably would.

XoneDB4

Ready to race!
Nascar still uses multiple nuts on each wheel and a big can of fuel?? Get centre locks and a fire proof hose for flip’s sake! Doesn’t that result in giant fuel fires all the time?

F1 eventually banned mid-race refuelling after various incidents like this:

https://youtu.be/1TnFLw0opMI

Prior to that ban, tyre changes were relatively slow as the fuel flow was always the limiting factor, so a fast stop was about 6-7s and some were over 10s. As soon as they got rid of refuelling, tyre changes became a point where you could win or lose a race and the pit crews have really upped their game. I think the record is 1.8s to stop, change all 4 tyres and get going again.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Or so they'd like you to believe, because it fits their blue-collar narrative. The real reason NASCAR pit stops are so long is because it allows them to display the sponsor logos more clearly while the car is sitting still. If they could get away with making the mechanics use 4-way wrenches on the lug nuts, they probably would.

I would say wrong on this.
This comes from stock car roots.
5 lug nuts and a gas can.
Actually the modern can is an interesting simple design.
Most sponsors want to be seen on the track in the lead.
Sitting in the pits is not winning.

Last edited:

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I would say wrong on this.
This comes from stock car roots.
5 lug nuts and a gas can.
Actually the modern can is an interesting simple design.
Most sponsors want to be seen on the track in the lead.
Sitting in the pits is not winning.

Perhaps not, but there's a company that analyzes NASCAR broadcasts and releases a weekly report that shows which teams get the most airtime, so the sponsors (and potential ones) know where to spend their money. If NASCAR is so concerned with their roots, why aren't the cars loaded up with moonshine? :D

DoctorCat

Passed Driver's Ed
Perhaps not, but there's a company that analyzes NASCAR broadcasts and releases a weekly report that shows which teams get the most airtime, so the sponsors (and potential ones) know where to spend their money. If NASCAR is so concerned with their roots, why aren't the cars loaded up with moonshine? :D

their fans are still stuck in Jim Crow America, the moonshine thing isn't a bad idea.

Going to a NASCAR event was like a full day of browsing "the people of WalMart" :eek:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Agree they should be more stock.
I think the more they look like actual road car better for the sport.
...and at the end of the race they get points taken away from broken jars and fans get to drink the shine.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
their fans are still stuck in Jim Crow America, the moonshine thing isn't a bad idea.

Going to a NASCAR event was like a full day of browsing "the people of WalMart" :eek:

Not really true.
However if you want to know where white middle aged guys are...
....visit a Nascar race on Sunday.
Most of the fans are 30-60 years of age.
This is NASCARs issue as fans are getting older and younger fans are not joining the sport.

The redneck fan image has really changed.
It is more middle aged working man both blue and white collar.
One reason is ticket cost more than most NFL games.
Most tracks really do a good job on the entertainment side with many pre race activities. I have have attended Talladega many times in the late 70's and early 80's. Two years ago after 30 years I attended a race. The track has changed a lot. Stands are much better. Gone are the days you arrived in a red clay dust cloud. Yes I am sure there are some interesting fans but the norm is not that.

Maybe in NY you have different rednecks?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Agree they should be more stock.
I think the more they look like actual road car better for the sport.

This is why I can't take NASCAR seriously. The fans just love to bang on and on about how the cars are "real cars" etc, but they're not "stock" in any way. But they aren't real racing cars, since the whole point of motorsport is to push the limits of technology, which they don't. It wasn't that long ago that they finally abandoned carburetors and leaded fuel, and they still haven't figured out that it's possible to build a transmission with more than 4 forward gears.

And yes, it is impressive that they can make a pushrod engine run at 8000 RPM reliably for 500+ miles, but that's not as impressive as the engines in NHRA Top Fuel that churn out 9000hp or whatever it is they're making these days, even if they only have a service life of 1320 feet. The amazing thing there is that those teams can rebuild the entire engine for their next run in under 45 minutes.