GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What oil do you run?

copperbeech

Passed Driver's Ed
In Canada they recommend Castrol it’s printed on the engine oil cap. 5W30 on the manual.

Lots more choice I see in the 2018 R manual. Oils having 502, 505 or 504 certification are 'allowed'.

I just wish I had the much thinner PP EURO LX 0W30 oil (504 certified) at the start of the now finished extra cold snap.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
In Canada they recommend Castrol it’s printed on the engine oil cap. 5W30 on the manual.

It’s printed there because Castrol (BP) pays for that. They have a partnership with VW. They had it with BMW too, until BMW switched to Shell. Doesn’t mean a thing.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Impossible to have cheap and high quality anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there's another oil that has this many ratings at this price point.

Ferrari, Renault, VW, Mercedes, et al.

BMW isn't on there due to the fact they're specifying 0w-20 in a move to better fleet economy avg.

surfstar

Ready to race!
Impossible to have cheap and high quality anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Says a person who feels that overpaying ensures quality. (there's actually been psychological studies on this)

Costco and WalMart are how you can have cheap, quality and quantity.

If you bought that PZ before 12/31 you could also get $10 rebate and have even cheaper, quality oil. *mind blown

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Mobil - 0w40. I swear it made subzero days easier. And the schwaben oil extractor.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
Says a person who feels that overpaying ensures quality. (there's actually been psychological studies on this)

Costco and WalMart are how you can have cheap, quality and quantity.

If you bought that PZ before 12/31 you could also get $10 rebate and have even cheaper, quality oil. *mind blown

I have never walked out of walmart thinking "that was cheap."

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
I just did my first oil change since I bought my '15 used in July. I went with the Liqui Moly Molygen 5w40 (bought the ECS kit), and I guess time will tell if it really matters.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Pretty annoying.

If you want any of the magical oils people are talking about you almost certainly have to order it and have it shipped.

Mobil 1 was the only 0w 40 I could find around here within normal driving distance. Guess I'll have to plan better on the second go around.