GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

***MAPerformance MK7 GTI Catted/Catless Downpipe Group Buy!***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

Ready to race!
I have a group buy priced, never installed MAPerformance DP with vibrant cat but no resonator that I am going to have to sell after reading this thread.

After reading on here, I can't have it throwing a CEL, and it sounds like everyone on here with spacers can't get them to work longterm.

In my state, we have to pass full OBD readiness every year, so I can't use a tune that suppresses it.

Sad panda. Stupid Tennessee.
I am in Tennessee and not worried at all about passing marta next year.
Mine has thrown a code but it is very rare, 4 or 5 time now.
I can go over a week without seeing the code.
When I feel like it I will put the smaller spacer in and see if it helps.
You won't have a problem with TN marta if you have VCDS or OBD11 or JB4 to clear the code when/if it does pop up.

If it does pop a code and you don't have a way to clear it. hit me up... I will clear it for you.
I am in Nashville also...

Last edited:

Noize1

Ready to race!
I am in Tennessee and not worried at all about passing marta next year.
Mine has thrown a code but it is very rare, 4 or 5 time now.
I can go over a week without seeing the code.
You won't have a problem with TN marta if you have VCDS or OBD11 or JB4 to clear the code when/if it does pop up.

If it does pop a code and you don't have a way to clear it. hit me up... I will clear it for you.
I am in Nashville also...

Thanks for the offer, buddy!
But even if it does pop up, you can't just clear it and immediately pass. It has to go through all the readiness checks and be good to go, so at least three drive cycles. I've had modified cars in Williamson County for the past 20 years and been mostly lucky. The only car I struggled a little bit with was my mk6 GTI.

Probably going to save up for one that def won't code.

Joel

Ready to race!
I guess I am under the impression that you can force the tests with VCDS or OBDeleven then go take marta.
Pretty sure I have looked at the readiness for the bank 1 sensor 2 in the engine module on my OBDeleven.

I could be wrong though, in that case it wasn't too bad to put the downpipe on.
I will put the stock one on if I have to next year.

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
I've been getting this rattling sound since I installed the downpipe. It only occurs for the first few minutes after I start my car and happens when I'm between 1k-2k rpm. It goes away after the car is warm. Anyone else have this issue?

penguinsgestapo

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been getting this rattling sound since I installed the downpipe. It only occurs for the first few minutes after I start my car and happens when I'm between 1k-2k rpm. It goes away after the car is warm. Anyone else have this issue?

No. Something has to be loose. I'm going to guess the two nuts below the turbo aren't tight.

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Keep me posted on what you find sir...

penguinsgestapo

Passed Driver's Ed
Update: I switched out to the largest insert in the vibrant line and installed my JB4 ... no CEL through one tank of gas while tuning. Really dig the sound and the DSG "fart" with this DP and stock exhaust. Just like most of my DSM business, no regrets going with MAP!

I don't have PP, but I can't imagine VW gave us different downpipes, so the hangar that attaches to the block should be the same, yes? It looks so in all the videos. All the install videos I watched had PP and the steps except the heat shield removal were identical to what I did.

I also had a hard time getting the DP to mate to the turbo after I slid it onto the 2 hangar bolts. It was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier if you remove the TOP NUT from the passenger side of the hangar (so 3 total nuts removed). It's straight down next to the suspension. All did was put a 18" extension on my ratchet. Easy off. Then the hanger can move around a bit while also supporting the DP so you can get it to mate up. THEN you can mate it up to the turbo with ease. Put the vband on about halfwayish to keep it in place, THEN put that top nut back on the hanger, THEN go put the 2 nuts on the hangar under the car, then move on to the bracket with the rubber thingies and bolt that down. And just keep going back. At the end you come back to the turbo and finish off the vband and plug in the o2 sensor.

This guy shows that 3rd nut and how everything was so much simpler after he removed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMUsbyJI550

Start at 9 minutes.

Really wish I came back and read this before I installed mine last night :eek:
Ran into same issues, and ended up removing the block support bracket from the block and had my wife install the vband while I held the downpipe in place. After that it was relatively easy to reinstall the bracket and mount the downpipe to it. Except now the block support bracket is only held in by one bolt because the other one wont line up. I'll probably just end up loosening the bolt facing upwards, or taking the block support bracket off and drilling it out.

Downpipe feels great on the car. If anyones wondering DSG farts are even LOUDER with a muffler delete.

BananaSlug

Ready to race!

BananaSlug

Ready to race!

Joel

Ready to race!
Pulled my vibrant spacer off and pulled the medium insert out and put the larger one in.
Still pulled a 49f3...
Going to try no spacer next... Probably should have started there.
If that doesn't do it I may try the 42DD spacer.
Knew I should have got the GESI...

Status
Not open for further replies.