GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

0-60 in a manual

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Subjective? You get the same "feel" from your dead pedal? lol. You are right though, for drivers cars you can do better with a cheap used one for fun runs. The DSG is superior to manual in launch, acceleration, mpg... but feel is the only reason to consider it really since you are using your feet not just pushing buttons.

That being said, I would get a DSG over manual if I had to do it all over.

I thought in "feel" we were talking about the car, how it "feels" ripping around a twisty road, up shifting downshifting. If you're talking about the drivers left leg then I guess it can get boring for some, I'm using my left foot for the brake so I'm rather involved with all my extremities anyway!

And I agree, once you go dsg, you never go back. But many manual owners have echoed your last sentence. On this platform why anybody chooses the manual is confusing to me, the dsg is that good, that's all I'm saying, it's not like the auto option is a cvt :)

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Everything.

And your "more feel" argument is subjective, and your opinion, which you are entitled to, the dsg in manual mode loses little if anything, is mine.

And ok, enjoy the Toyota as your daily driver. My daily is the R, sorta the whole point of the car, hell, the hot hatch segment. Seriously, if your R is your toy, that's just dumb, there are better "part time" cars out there. Not many better daily drivers than the R, imo, rain sleet snow, moving a dresser etc

Sorry I must have had a brain fart. I own 1 car, my R. I want a manual because when I get in the car I want to participate in the drive. For me driving an auto is boring as hell. I mean it's not like you can go ripping ass on a daily basis. With the man-tran I get to participate in the drive a lot more. Also I'd never own a Toyota simply because it IS an appliance with no soul.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
On this platform why anybody chooses the manual is confusing to me, the dsg is that good, that's all I'm saying, it's not like the auto option is a cvt :)

It isn't that confusing, really. Like many, I chose the manual because for 30+ years that's what I drove, and never really even considered an automatic. Had I test-driven a DSG version (the only R at the dealer when I somewhat unexpectedly had a chance to buy one was a 6MT), it's entirely possible I would have gone for it, I suppose, but I've always liked the interaction between clutch and shifter, and I've never been terribly obsessed with absolute performance.

I agree, if you start out looking at the R from a neutral position, the DSG is hands-down the way to go. If you are coming from a lifetime of driving manuals, though, it's entirely natural to gravitate towards the manual version. That being said, this is probably the last manual daily driver I will have. I'd love to have a manual summer car, RWD and summer tires only, though.

Pickleahoy1

Ready to race!
The same way i would never consider an automatic transmission on a motorcycle carries over to sports cars, for me at least...

I would echo the statement, but on this platform the manual is severely neutered from the factory by some issues that can be fixed and others that currently cant. You have the flow restrictor in the clutch line, the spring assist on the pedal and the weak clutch power rating as fixable, and then you have no launch control, engine power cut-off and lack of aftermarket no lift shift support.

One of the main points why i bought an R over the competition was tune-ability and the fact the MK7 platform makes so much power out of a tune and easy bolt ons, but you gotta buy a new clutch now to run Stage 1 and even with the vibration defeat the car holds back off the line unless you feather the shit out of the clutch.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Like I said, I don't get it, the dsg is that good imo. Especially on a daily, use the paddles, then when in traffic put it in auto, that's why I love it, and I like having one of the fast R's, I know couldn't help it, to each his own :)

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
It helps that where I live, there is no traffic. One of the good things about being in a small state with few people and no big cities.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I would echo the statement, but on this platform the manual is severely neutered from the factory by some issues that can be fixed and others that currently cant. You have the flow restrictor in the clutch line, the spring assist on the pedal and the weak clutch power rating as fixable, and then you have no launch control, engine power cut-off and lack of aftermarket no lift shift support.

One of the main points why i bought an R over the competition was tune-ability and the fact the MK7 platform makes so much power out of a tune and easy bolt ons, but you gotta buy a new clutch now to run Stage 1 and even with the vibration defeat the car holds back off the line unless you feather the shit out of the clutch.

Launch Control & No Lift Shift looks like it's coming soon from United Motorsports...finally.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion

And absolutely none of these things bother me. Like I said, I don't track the car, and I only drive at roughly 75% asshole most of the time so none of these are issues for me.

spessx

Ready to race!
Jb4 map 2, revo catted dp, apr intake, uni intercooler, apr ss, rsr clutch, 18x8 Rse10s w stock bridgestones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Great times! You should post your time slips the offical 1/4 mile thread on vortex. The 6mt times are really depressing.

spessx

Ready to race!
Like I said, I don't get it, the dsg is that good imo. Especially on a daily, use the paddles, then when in traffic put it in auto, that's why I love it, and I like having one of the fast R's, I know couldn't help it, to each his own :)

I waited until the 2016's came out just so I could get a manual. I've driven manuals all my life and wouldn't even consider the DSG because I've gotten bored driving other auto's. With that said, I feel like the Golf R was designed with the DSG in mind. I wish I would have gotten the DSG. I've even considered selling my R to repurchase.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I only drive at roughly 75% asshole most of the time so none of these are issues for me.

Lol! How do you quantify that?

Gotta admit after driving a '58 Ghia, a Prius and a Tacoma 4 banger for so long, I am definitely driving so much faster since I got my GTI. Although I'm probably only at 75% asshole too. :D

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I waited until the 2016's came out just so I could get a manual. I've driven manuals all my life and wouldn't even consider the DSG because I've gotten bored driving other auto's. With that said, I feel like the Golf R was designed with the DSG in mind. I wish I would have gotten the DSG. I've even considered selling my R to repurchase.

I understand, I used to be a manual fan, but they were always faster back then and dyno'd significantly higher. Those days are gone and I got old. So the dsg, or other dual clutch setups, became a great compromise I thought at purchase, now I don't even see it as a compromise, it's a no-brainer imo

I've yet to meet, in person, a manual R owner who didn't wish they had bought the dsg and met a few who did trade their manual for a dsg R. Ya get the purist argument on the forums, yet to meet any of those guys in person and I've met a bunch, at car shows, gas stations, and parking lots, red lights lol

To anybody that's on the fence or even anybody that wonders maybe, do it you'll never regret the dsg, especially if performance is an important aspect, plenty that regret buying the manual, period.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I've yet to meet, in person, a manual R owner who didn't wish they had bought the dsg and met a few who did trade their manual for a dsg R.

To be fair though the biggest reason isn't 0-60 times or lap times. It's simply that VW's six-speed kinda blows, for this class of automobile. The fact that a much cheaper Honda has a better shifter than an R is sort of galling.

I'd wager that if the six speed in the R had exactly the same performance stats as it does currently, but was actually a slick, short-throw, shifter with great clutch feel, there'd be a lot more people who would prefer it to the DSG no matter what the numbers. And of course, there are those for whom numbers are key, and it's a no brainer then to go for the DSG.

The reason I think the R is better with the DSG is mostly that 1) the 6MT isn't great, and 2) the car seems designed for the DSG. All factors being equal, though, in a car this size I prefer a manual.

With short show shifter and metal linkages, the manual is fantastic.

I live in Baltimore with tons of traffic. Glad I got the manual. For me, I drove my cousin's MK6 GTI manual, and it was sublime. Drove my buddy's MK6, heavily modded DSG and it just wasn't as much fun for me.

Decision made. Though I think if I were to get the MK7.5 I'd go with the DSG. I'm a sucker for more gears