GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Racingline Performance Oil Catch & Oil Management system

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
No worries; I don't mind at all. There is a ton of information on the forums, good and bad so I understand how difficult it can be to parse through all the content.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Fast forward to the 2:20 mark and you'll see this begin to happen. This only happens under high G braking and never a factor for daily driving.

https://youtu.be/ODurlDlPdp4

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not a factor for DD huh? Let's not get ahead of ourselves... :D

I'm just joking. Chances are that most DD's won't see this issue but if you like to push things and have some fun on empty roads then you have a good chance at this occurring.

I had it happen to me when I was messing around with a WRX one day. Had to do some emergency braking at about 125 and I saw a big ass cloud of white smoke in my rear-view mirror. First thought was oh shit, there went my turbo. Pulled over, inspected things and found nothing out of the ordinary. Did some research that night and found out about this issue.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion

I'm just joking. Chances are that most DD's won't see this issue but if you like to push things and have some fun on empty roads then you have a good chance at this occurring.

Good point; however, I recommend only driving at the limit on a closed course, with corner workers and EMTs on site. ;)

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion

I had it happen to me when I was messing around with a WRX one day. Had to do some emergency braking at about 125 and I saw a big ass cloud of white smoke in my rear-view mirror. First thought was oh shit, there went my turbo. Pulled over, inspected things and found nothing out of the ordinary. Did some research that night and found out about this issue.

Don't worry that smoke was coming from the busted ringland on the Subaru:)

But ya, in all seriousness, it happens on the street to but you're usually having way to much fun, then. If you drive spiritedly it's an issue and if you're going to buy a catch can anyway, why not buy one that addresses the hard g braking issues also, at least that's what I did. Expensive yes but it does do more than just "catch" the vapors, so ya can't just compare it to other catchcans that only do that imo

kdub808

Ready to race!
Fast forward to the 2:20 mark and you'll see this begin to happen. This only happens under high G braking and never a factor for daily driving.

https://youtu.be/ODurlDlPdp4

I think my video wins...

https://youtu.be/qEIqh7M_Ock

Sound removed due to lots of swearing. At least If I ever have to evade the cops I know what to do. [emoji6].

I have a different theory though...

*DISCLAIMER : I am not a mechanic... just an enthusiast with some info and thoughts I wanted to share. This is simply my arm chair theory based on my observations. Maybe you guys could help shed more light. Perhaps it deserves its own thread?

I believe the white smoke could be caused from unburnt fuel from a faulty injector or bad spark. Not the PCV. The unburnt liquid fuel gets ejected on the exhaust stroke into the hot side of the turbo and catalyst where it ignites.

The reasons I suspect this are as follows...

1. Smoke is NOT blue-ish like oil smoke would be, it is plain white,

2. Smells nothing like burning oil, it actually smells like firecrackers (I have read this is what emissions smell like on a car that is running beyond rich. AKA, lots of unburnt fuel hitting the cat and igniting).

3. It does NOT smell sweet like coolant burning up in the cylinder would, so, not a cracked head / blown gasket.

4. My oil during the last oil change smelled heavily of gas. The unburnt fuel could be spilling down the cylinder walls and mixing with the oil.

5. One more possible clue that points to unburnt fuel is I have got a low oil pressure warning several times in the past week, it may be possible the fuel is thinning out the oil and lowering the pressure.

Car is at the dealer now, I'll let you know what they say. (I'll also show them this thread)

It almost always happens when I am WOT, 2nd to 3rd gear, and then get off throttle and on to the brakes hard-ish, and upshift. Generally after a turn, but not always. Its like the injector stays WOT for a second or two too long and since your off throttle there is not enough O2 for it to burn all the fuel. Or maybe it doesn't ignite at all, IDK.

Its's possible oil overwhelms the PCV, but my argument against this is that I have a catch can and it does not fill up after these smoke episodes like I have been told it should. (unless the breather line and can are not part of the equation and oil is dumped into the intake somewhere else?). But I have been told the cans will fill up completely during track days and the smoke will occur as the can is overflowing with oil, (or immediately if you don't have one). My car is basically stock, I don't even drive it that hard, I have only about a table spoon of oil in my CC at any given time, but I still get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like you have other much more serious issues!

kdub808

Ready to race!
Right! White usually means you're burning coolant, probably head gaskets.

Unlikely. Food for thought... Coolant has gone down a bit, but the smoke smells like fireworks, not sweet. And it doesn't happen on full throttle where pressure would be greater, the gasket would give and coolant would seep into the cylinder, it happens off throttle during breaking, and downshifting.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I've got another theory on this.

I think that one of the VW engineers was bored at work and wanted to have some fun, so they gave us a built in smokescreen device. Pretty clever IMO.

It's not a problem, it's an unintentional feature :D

kdub808

Ready to race!
I've got another theory on this.

I think that one of the VW engineers was bored at work and wanted to have some fun, so they gave us a built in smokescreen device. Pretty clever IMO.

It's not a problem, it's an unintentional feature :D

LOL, I wish. [emoji1]

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
May not be head gaskets, but white smoke is coolant, especially if your level is dropping. I've got a 16 and a 17, they haven't used a drop to date. Guess you'll find out, what I can say is it's not related to pcv system unless you got something real weird going on, but not what this thread is referring to for sure, that'll be blackish after hard braking and turn, that's what the vwr catch can seems to stop, at least in my experience on both cars!

kdub808

Ready to race!
May not be head gaskets, but white smoke is coolant, especially if your level is dropping. I've got a 16 and a 17, they haven't used a drop to date. Guess you'll find out, what I can say is it's not related to pcv system unless you got something real weird going on, but not what this thread is referring to for sure, that'll be blackish after hard braking and turn, that's what the vwr catch can seems to stop, at least in my experience on both cars!

From what I understand, liquid fuel hitting hot surfaces produces white smoke as well (Unlike running rich where most of it is actually burning and producing blackish soot), so it's possible its not coolant. I hope. Check these videos out, one is "Engineering explained detailing how our cars use coolant in the head to cool down the exhaust gases which could lead to coolant evaporation and consumption. The second video is Adam's Golf R where he is losing about the same amount coolant as me over time. He has had to fill it up twice now as well.

EE Vid :
https://youtu.be/nNendiDFzSM

Adams vid :
https://youtu.be/U55mc3hg1po

Couple questions for you if you wouldn't mind...

You have both a 2016 and a 2017 R?

I take it you have not seen white smoke from either of them?

Do you have the VWR Catch Can / Oil drain system on both cars? Since day 1?

Do you track the cars?

TY [emoji482]

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Yes

No sir, never.

The 16 didn't get the catch can for 1 year, the 17 got it right away and the 16 at the same time.

The 16 has never seen the track, but had seen some seriously stupidness on twisty windy roads, that's why it got the vwr catch can, after allot of initial panick then research and then just repeated what I'd learned right away on the 17. The 17 has seen a couple parking lot coned, I have a hard time calling those track days, experiences and of course the same back roads.

Hope you post back what you find out, I'm curious, and I hope, for your sake, it's nothing serious but it sounds unusual at the very least. Good luck.

Tweaker

Unlikely. Food for thought... Coolant has gone down a bit, but the smoke smells like fireworks, not sweet. And it doesn't happen on full throttle where pressure would be greater, the gasket would give and coolant would seep into the cylinder, it happens off throttle during breaking, and downshifting.

I would think high pressure would keep coolant out and off throttle lower pressure would allow coolant in...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk