GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Magna-flow exhaust rattle

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
So my buddy and I installed the magna-flow this weekend on the GTI and what a great sound! The problem is I am getting inconsistent rattle from the back, normally on idle...sometimes when I shut car off also it makes a horrible rattling sound...anyone have any experience with this?

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
So my buddy and I installed the magna-flow this weekend on the GTI and what a great sound! The problem is I am getting inconsistent rattle from the back, normally on idle...sometimes when I shut car off also it makes a horrible rattling sound...anyone have any experience with this?

You might want to check that the exhaust isn't hitting the black exhaust tunnel brace...had that issue with mine and bought an additional exhaust hanger (near the muffler) and added some washers between the bar and the floor.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Rattle or do you mean it is knocking on the bodywork somewhere?

alan.hubin

Check the middle brace and also the plastic valence. My exhaust rubbed on a bolt up forward by the transmission, the black brace, and the valence.

ryohei47

Ready to race!
Mine rattles a bit on idle too, I've tried adjusting it multiple times but it's still rattling under load around 3k RPM. I think I'm going to get under the car this weekend and see what else can be done..

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear that bud, sometimes those exhaust rattles can just drive you nuts. About a month ago I installed a downpipe on my MK7 and had to crawl under the car 3 or 4 times to make adjustments to avoid some of the rattles, granted some of it was my own stupidity on where I secured the o2 sensor harness extension but I did have to adjust a couple clamps as well as pull the exhaust towards the rear of the car as one of the downpipe hangers was rubbing against the sub-frame ever so slightly on decel.

If I could offer a few solutions I've learned... instead of using band clamps on slip fittings use lap joint clamps and secondly exhaust paste. Both will help sure up some of those iffy connections. Best of luck to ya!

Tone1

Ready to race!
Check the rear control arm clearance as well. I solved my back end exhaust rattle with poly hangers and a few washers between the hanger brackets and the body.

ryohei47

Ready to race!
Check the rear control arm clearance as well. I solved my back end exhaust rattle with poly hangers and a few washers between the hanger brackets and the body.

I think that's exactly where my rattling comes from. What are poly hangers? I'm assuming you mean putting spacers so that the exhaust hangs slightly lower giving it more room from the rear control arm?

ryohei47

Ready to race!
You might want to check that the exhaust isn't hitting the black exhaust tunnel brace...had that issue with mine and bought an additional exhaust hanger (near the muffler) and added some washers between the bar and the floor.

I was bumping into the control arm because I couldn't position the exhaust exactly in the middle of the control arm space. I added washers for the exhaust hangers near the muffler and it made all the difference. Thanks for the recommendation

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I was bumping into the control arm because I couldn't position the exhaust exactly in the middle of the control arm space. I added washers for the exhaust hangers near the muffler and it made all the difference. Thanks for the recommendation

Awesome! Glad I could help!