GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Intercooler Upgrade??

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
On stage 2 power levels the golf r ic isn't helping me much more with heat soak than the oem IC. It's to the point I watch my traps speeds drop between runs when I go to the track just like when I had the stock IC . It's a waste of time for how involved the job is. Spend the money and get a real IC.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
My opinion is if your going to upgrade the ic. Just go aftermarket. Specially if your installing yourself. Be better served having a actual legitimate upgrade. Unitronic would be plenty for stage 2 and not break the bank.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The R intercooler swap is a nice minor upgrade for a stock car. If you are tuning your car, look to the aftermarket. You'll just end up replacing the R intercooler later.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Yes, with about a 20% volume increase.

Check the IC performance thread to compare different IC efficiencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I believe it's closer to 10%

24.25" x 16.25" x 1.25" – 492.5 in³ – OEM GTI
24.25" x 16.25" x 1.37" – 541.8 in³ – OEM Golf R
24.00" x 16.25" x 2.25" – 877.5 in³ – APR

A lot of data to compare the OEM GTI to the R here:
https://www.goapr.com/products/intercooler_ea888_mqb.html

Last edited:

Perry01

Ready to race!
Did my 4th install yesterday with forum member jbroden. It took 2 hours and 15 minutes but we broken a coolant sensor. My first install was a Golf R IC on my GTI. Of course it fit perfect but only a 15% reduction in IAT's. Six months later I installed a IE intercooler and had fellow forum member oorrllyy to help. My Golf R IC went into his GTI and both installs took about 3 hours. The IE fit like a glove and performs very well here in the hot year 'round weather. The Unitronic IC we installed yesterday was a little more difficult. One of the mounting tabs on the IC that secures the condenser to the IC gave us some difficulty. It required some manipulation resulting in the radiator, IC and condenser to fall of the support (a cooler). This likely caused the coolant sensor to break.

The bottom line is, it can be installed in a garage with basic tools in less than 3 hours but you must not rush it and you need to be careful with all the tabs and connectors.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Did my 4th install yesterday with forum member jbroden. It took 2 hours and 15 minutes...
Cudos, Perry01. You might have just become THE resident IC install expert. I did it just once and the memory is now blurry but I do recall there was a lot of pain and misery involved, lol.