GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this the stupidest/expensive thing you can mess up?

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Hulk smash.

Since you don't know what a torque wrench is perhaps you should learn what a Heli-coil is?
QFT

No offense OP, I stripped a header bolt thread in my 00 focus one time (in the aluminum head). Got quite well versed (real quick) in "helicoil" after a few days of an exhaust leak at the head.

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
Lmao none taken it was the last coil to be changed thought u know after 3 being done ok the 4th should be just as easy lol but yea I'll grab that heli coil lol thanks again fed for ur sarcastic yet useful advise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You're f-ing welcome :)

I once stripped the oil drain plug on a 1966 Jap bike. Talk about soft aluminum. I made the mistake of thinking I could re-tap the hole lying on my back.

Starshine

Passed Driver's Ed
If you want stupid, expensive mistakes, I had a BMW 3 series that I was doing a quick three point turn in. I let the clutch out before I had the shifter all the way into 1st gear. $1,200 and a new transmission later, I was good to go.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you want stupid, expensive mistakes, I had a BMW 3 series that I was doing a quick three point turn in. I let the clutch out before I had the shifter all the way into 1st gear. $1,200 and a new transmission later, I was good to go.

Ah, yes, the stupid and expensive driving mistakes. Back before most of you were born :) I had an '84 Z-28 H.O. On my way to work there was a small bypass for a traffic light that was worth taking if the light changed red just as you came up on it. It was a sharp turn. The Z-28 had great handling and easily responded at the last moment. But then I bought a Mazda MX-6 GT Turbo. Needed FWD because I was transferred and needed to commute in winter snow. Great car but not in the handling department. I still needed to take the same route down to the Interstate entrance. I was running late and didn't get my first cup of coffee. The light changed and I tugged the wheel hard. Big mistake. Instant understeer. It was a one-lane road with power poles, and curbs and cars parked on both sides. I let off the gas and started chasing the steering wheel. Missed the car on the left, the power pole right after it but not the curb. Amazingly the car still drove albeit badly. The wheel was trashed, the steering needed to be held at 4 o'clock to go straight, and I heard a loud rubbing noise from the axle rubbing on the a-arm. The car had electric shocks like DCC but it and the axle weren't bent. I don't know how, but I missed damaging any body parts. Still cost me over $1,400 in 1991 because Japanese parts were very expensive then.

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie
i work at an audi dealership and i can tell you people twist those thing off all the time. worst case is just splice a new end on it and call it a day.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
At the motorbike dealership I once worked, 'Shiftemquicks', if a mechanic snapped the head off a blot, especially an adjuster, so they told me with amusement they would simply glue it back on :eek: then the poor owner thinks they did it. I worked in sales BTW; talking folk into buying stuff on credit at rates they couldn't really afford and often ended up defaullting on, one of many reasons why I left....

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Old thread chiming (as usual) but I totally stripped out one of these holes today gapping and inspecting plugs and a couple others seem that they’re on their way. Less than 10 ft/lbs of torque on a fresh wrench. Seems it was probably dead before I pulled it. Saw a Golf R video (Rad Fox) with the same issue. Some think the bolts are not truly 6mm and a bit larger/warped.

Last edited: