GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garage Door Opener Options

RadMax8

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

I'm looking to put an integrated garage door opener in my R. I want to hear your opinions on the Homelink mirror vs. the center console buttons. I think they cost about the same (not 100% sure), so just wondering what everyone thinks is the best option.

For reference, my car has the DAP and all the other bells and whistles.

Thanks in advance!

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I just wedge the keychain size remote for our liftmaster opener below the USB cable port in the cubby. Fits nice and snug. Nice and easy.

RadMax8

Passed Driver's Ed
Unfortunately my opener is a little bulkier than that haha. That is pretty cool though. What's the little shelf you've got tucked in there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I have the homelink mirror and I love it. Homelink / garage opener works great, and as an added bonus I think the mirror design is sleek and modern, the auto-dimming is awesome, and personally I like the compass.

Double Apex is definitely a neat idea and nice OEM looking solution, but for about the same money you get even more features with the homelink mirror.

Not sure on compatibility with DAP but I don't see how the mirror would be affected by that.

JBale

Ready to race!
I wired mine to the tire pressure reset switch. I was lazy and didn't bother hardwiring power to the garage door opener so eventually I'll have to change the battery like normal.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I just bought Wifi interface for my Chamberlain garage opener , so i can open if from my phone lol

I have the same unit. Works well for dog walks etc. But I prefer a simple button when opening and closing in the car.

Now if they could make the Chamberlain app CarPlay compatible, that would be another story.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!

phaphaphooey

Ready to race!
If you saw it in person you would think differently. The rimless design looks so much nicer than the OEM mirror and dresses up the interior nicely.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I really like my Homelink for the look, auto-dimming, and garage door opener. VW periodically provides 10% rebates which helps on the price. Currently it is 8%. http://www.vwserviceandparts.com/vw-accessory-rebate/ Can be found for $216 + ship - rebate.

This is also a decent solution courtesy of Don (DV52): http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/for...-remote-garage-door-opener-closer-110972.html

Here some additional information from a post I wrote sometime back:

The part number for the switch is 5G1927238E it has the three switches, one is floating (tire pressure) and the other two are to ground as I recall. It can be purchased for $20 off of Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...612736347.html. Plenty of room for your garage door opener in the shift area after you remove the housing. So another $15 for your programmable garage door and then solder the switch contacts to the tire pressure switch. So the cost is $35 and an hour of time. I was going to use this method for my garage door opener and then just make a decal for the garage door and place over the tire pressure indicator. However, I went for the Homelink mirror. For the homelink mirror if I had to do it over again rather than removing the A pillar and connecting into the light switch for power, I would just find switched power in the overhead and tie into that. Easier install, but would take some soldering skills. I really like the auto dimming feature and clean buttons for the garage door of the homelink system.