GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chirping/squealing when turning left.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I have a very slight noise occurring when turning left. I've been through three belts, two OEM and one Gates, but it didn't change. It sounded like the accessory tensioner pulley, so I replaced it, no change, maybe a little fainter. I have a Fluidampr dampener, for about 10,000 miles, but this only started about 5000 miles ago. I replaced pads and rotors just to rule out that, no change. There is no contact on the drive shaft, and it happened before I installed my suspension.

It only happens consistently when sharply turning left at low speed. And it occasionally happens when pinning the wheel to the right while stationary on an uneven surface. AC on of off doesn't seem to impact it. Sport vs normal steering also does not seem to impact sound.

Any thoughts? Anyone experience this?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Zer0DazE

Ready to race!
I have had the same sound since I bought my car last year. It is an obvious noise... the dealer said "Our tech didn't hear anything.". You're not alone, and you're not imagining it.

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
Ok, so I now have this exact same problem. It chrips when started cold and then seems to go away once the car has warmed up. This makes me think it's the alternator which is in high gear after a start. it's noticeable at idle and between 1k-1500 rpm. I have very similar mods to the OP. My FD has been in for about 10k miles as well, maybe a little less. The noise is easily induced when turning left as well.

I changed the belt last night thinking that would solve it but to no avail. I can spray down the pulleys but I do not want to get silicone all over the new belt either and have that start slipping.

Did anyone every figure this out? I am about to be out of the 3-36k warranty so if it is an alternator I will take it into the mod friendly Smith VW who installed my pulley.

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
Don't put anything on the pulleys.

Have you had this issue? It is really tempting to just put a little silicone on the pulley shaft, not the pulleys or belts themselves.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I'm still not sure, but your issue sounds identical. I'm going to replace the alternator pulley next month and see what happens. It's only a $30 part and install looks not too bad.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Brake pads just kissing the rotors when you turn.

Had a similar thing, and the tech just put a touch of brake quiet on it.

Has slowly made its way back though.

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
Well, I ended up making an appointment for Sat morning at Smith VW who did the pulley. Those guys are awesome and got me in there in a pinch so I am sure they will get to the bottom of it. I will keep you guys posted.

It is a possibility it is the brakes during left-hand turns, but I even get the noise stationary on a cold start and it's identical to what I hear when turning.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
My first attempt at fixing it was replacing pads and rotors, no change.

Plus this happens while parked sometimes, so that clearly rules out the brakes.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Update: it's the Fluidampr crank pulley. There is visible run out when the engine is running. It's extremely slight, but I've had 4 people familiar with engines tell me that after looking at it spin. Hopefully I can get it back to stock this weekend.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Update: Removing the Fluidampr fixed the noise. The part of the pulley that interfaced with the front main seal was rubbing against the seal, causing the noise. There is scoring on the pulley, which is inconsistent, indicating the pulley was out of round and slightly too large for the opening.

I'm shocked, these pulleys are built to exacting standards and failures are rare.

I am probably going to have the replace the entire front main seal. Ugh.

cruzmisl

Ready to race!
Maybe you can contact fluidampr?

They might tell you to take a hike, but you had the expectation that it would fit and work properly, but it didn't.