GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Stuck in High Revs - Adaptation?

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Hey everyone. Have you ever had DSG "D" mode get stuck in higher rev ranges? Apparently my tranny adapted to a few spirited runs and made that my permanent MO. It happened right after clearing engine faults in VCDS (no faults were present, was just analyzing fuel trims). Fortunately, doing a 'clear faults' again put the DSG back to civility mode, but now I'm wondering how long this adaptation is going to take before I can go back to Jekyll and Hyde??

Edit: Changed title from "DSG DQ250 Adaptation" to "DSG Stuck in High Revs - Adaptation?"

Last edited:

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
I would try running a full adaptation and following the proper learning procedures if you're worried. This link is for older DQ250s but I've followed it and been able to figure it out before. RJ had a post awhile ago on the exact ones.. but really it's like you reset them all iirc:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)
0bLiViOuS,
Thanks for the info. I believe this is the thread where RJ posted details about adaptation (below). In my case, I think the DSG is just in the adapting phase for a short while (at least I hope so). Will know better later. I'm thinking of waiting 100 miles before any WOT. I read once a service adviser told a DSG owner to go easy for 100 miles after service.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23108

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
What have the outside ambient temperatures been like as you've noticed this behavior? The DSG will hold gears longer in higher temperatures (mid to high 90's and above) to counteract heat soak and performance losses at high temps.

Last edited:

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
That's the one.. better bookmark it while I remember haha.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
What have the outside ambient temperatures been like as you've noticed this behavior? The DSG will hold gears longer in higher temperatures (mid to high 90's and above) to counteract heat soak and performance losses at high temps.
AdamSheikh,
I haven't been able to find much info on that gearing characteristic but it is certainly a possibility. Now that I think of it, it happened about 2 weeks ago on a blazing hot day and I hadn't been tinkering with the car then. It was 110+F that day, and it has been 110+F the last 2 days yet again.

BTW, checking out a few pics in your gallery from your link, all I can say is wow. Nice work!

monkibouy

Passed Driver's Ed

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
I found the following thread on the 'tex that sheds some light on this behavior:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8106177-DSG-holding-gears-longer-then-normal

I've been dealing with the same odd shift patterns since temps went 110+. I initially thought it was adaptation as well but eventually figured the difference was way too drastic. I can also vouch for TCU tunes not tuning out this functionality.
That link - that's totally it! Thanks! There's no letup in places like AZ and NV.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
I found the following thread on the 'tex that sheds some light on this behavior:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8106177-DSG-holding-gears-longer-then-normal

I've been dealing with the same odd shift patterns since temps went 110+. I initially thought it was adaptation as well but eventually figured the difference was way too drastic. I can also vouch for TCU tunes not tuning out this functionality.

That link - that's totally it! Thanks! There's no letup in places like AZ and NV.

Yep, that's what it is - though I'm not exactly sure what the specific temperature threshold is. Honestly a bit surprised that I haven't experienced this behavior in my 3 years with the car down here in Florida.

BTW, checking out a few pics in your gallery from your link, all I can say is wow. Nice work!

Thanks! :D

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I reviewed the wiki page and my settings in VCDS are different (with a newer VCDS release).

I ran through each one of these. Only one (I think basic settings or gear selector) took a few mins and the tranny was clicking. All others took like a second and said complete.

Hopefully I got them all.

Running 17.8.0 BTW

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Just to add .02c. The DSG does not adapt to a particular driving style. The shift points and logic are hard programmed.

There are other things (quirks) that present themselves with which adaptation can fix. But I see so many posts about the DSG adapting to a particular driving style, it can't and it doesn't.

I have never had a heat issue, but then I don't tend to encounter the temps some of you do. It makes sense to me, especially if many are experiencing the same symptoms in the same conditions.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I reviewed the wiki page and my settings in VCDS are different (with a newer VCDS release).

I ran through each one of these. Only one (I think basic settings or gear selector) took a few mins and the tranny was clicking. All others took like a second and said complete.

Hopefully I got them all.

Running 17.8.0 BTW

Yep I think I just ran through all those when I helped a friend. RJ also goes over what to reset on VCDS on this post which lined up better than Ross-Tech's instructions.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23108