GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The 'Chimera' - Progression of my 1.8T by SKVeeDubR

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
06/16/2017 - PP brakes installed!

Install is pretty straightforward, just make sure you have an M18 triple to remove those rear axle bolts so you can fit the larger dust shields. Of course, everything bolts up without issue, OEM quality because OEM.

Going from 288mm to 340x30mm rotors up front, as well as larger 310x22mm vented rotors in the rear I definitely notice a more balanced and powerful stopping power, however I will say they still don't quite have the 'bite' that the brakes on my MK7 R has. This could be due to the difference in master cylinders between the R and the golf/GTI, anyone have any thoughts? I may revisit bleeding the system to see if that helps, but I don't think that's the issue here.

Aesthetically speaking, I feel these brakes really set the car off and are a nice compliment to the larger 19" Pretoria wheels. The diminutive Golf 1.8T brakes were seriously lacking in both stopping power and in the looks department. Also, keeping these PP brakes clean should prove much easier with the painted surface as opposed to the zinc plated little things that came on the car - the rough cast surface and type of finish make it next to impossible to keep looking like new.

And for those looking to build the ULTIMATE SLEEPER - please check out my OEM- Brake Kit for your GTI / R!

Last edited:

gdfraser

Ready to race!
06/15/2017 - OEM Performance Pack full brake kit

Acquired this complete set of PP brakes from a friend, including all lines, dust shields, rotors, pads, callipers and even extra e-brake cables. This set was extremely low miles, and in great overall shape, just needed a serious bath to bring them to their shining (and very red) glory..

I didn't realize just how dirty the were until I started cleaning.

My OCD got the better of me, and a 'quick' wash turned in to an all afternoon affair, complete with partial disassembly, washing, minor paint touchup, polishing, and sealing!

I guess install will have to wait until tomorrow now. That's ok, I will stare at these on my bench for a little while longer now that they are all shiny!

Very nice!! I am jealous. Do you have access to any more??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Very nice!! I am jealous. Do you have access to any more??

Haha sorry I do not - this was the equivalent of finding a unicorn for me given the completeness/condition of the setup. I do have a line on a minty set of R brakes but the R rear callipers are not compatible with the Golf/GTI..

Another, more cost-effective option you could consider is simply getting larger 312mm carriers/rotors up front from the standard (non-PP) GTI.

Super jealous. Wanted to upgrade to the PP setup myself, but now i'm leaning more toward the porsche 4pot setup and some venting. Cheers!

Yes that would be very cool as well! By vented do you mean slotted and/or drilled? These PP brakes are vented front and rear.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry, not vented brakes as stock GTI brakes, even in non-PP spec, feature cooling vents along the periphery. I'm speaking more brake ducting from the audi ttrs which requires adding ducts to the LCAs.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Sorry, not vented brakes as stock GTI brakes, even in non-PP spec, feature cooling vents along the periphery. I'm speaking more brake ducting from the audi ttrs which requires adding ducts to the LCAs.

ahhh haha yes that would be amazing!!

gdfraser

Ready to race!
Haha sorry I do not - this was the equivalent of finding a unicorn for me given the completeness/condition of the setup. I do have a line on a minty set of R brakes but the R rear callipers are not compatible with the Golf/GTI..

Another, more cost-effective option you could consider is simply getting larger 312mm carriers/rotors up front from the standard (non-PP) GTI.

Yes that would be very cool as well! By vented do you mean slotted and/or drilled? These PP brakes are vented front and rear.

Dang! I have a GTI with the smaller brakes but was hoping for a little bit bigger! I have also fitted a set of Pretorias on my car and it certainly makes the stock brakes look small!!

Cheers

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Dang! I have a GTI with the smaller brakes but was hoping for a little bit bigger! I have also fitted a set of Pretorias on my car and it certainly makes the stock brakes look small!!

Cheers

Yes, the Prets are a great wheel in every aspect! I knew when I got the Prets that I would be on the hunt for larger brakes.. I don't know if I have any good pics of Prets with the small Golf 1.8T brakes as they were kinda embarrassing haha!

Clubsport Centercaps installed

Last edited:

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
06/17/2017 - The Clubsport goodies continue!

You can see here, the OEM CS diffuser is a true two-piece design. Time to lose the Rieger.

And it goes without saying - OEM fit and finish is impeccable.

And what good is the CS diffuser without the CSS silencer?!

Comparison between the GTI silencer and the CSS one. Completely different suitcase - very similar to the R.

You can see just how much larger the CSS tips actually are!

Last edited:

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
found this little gem - my little 'Master Mechanic' and his younger brother helping with the CSS Silencer install. Shown here is the cutting of the pipe to remove the old GTI silencer.

And for those wondering - no I never stage pictures, he is actually doing work :D

Last edited:

Raegar

Ready to race!
I just sat and read this entire build because of how detailed you are in your work but also pictures - they really are worth a thousand words. I don't even drive a Golf to steal ideas from your thread ?. I drive what you've now made this car into, except you've got the satisfaction of saying did that!

I have a question that you can totally chose not to answer, but how much in mods so far are we looking at? I am totally not trying to get at what I realize most people reading this would get at - that you could've just bought a GTI (obviously you have an R already).

The other question I had was, have you tuned yet? Earlier you mentioned you were looking into Unitronic - great choice btw. And IS20 eventually???? ?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
looks like Photobucket has gotten the better of me - oh well, I have been planning to abort their ship but have been too lazy up until now. Please be patient while I find another place to host my pics so I can reload this thread..

Cheers!!

EDIT - images have successfully been moved to a new host and thread is live again, thanks to all for your patience!

Last edited:

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Sorry I missed your comments/questions earlier!! Oops

I just sat and read this entire build because of how detailed you are in your work but also pictures - they really are worth a thousand words. I don't even drive a Golf to steal ideas from your thread ?. I drive what you've now made this car into, except you've got the satisfaction of saying did that!

Much appreciated! of course now my photo hosting has been limited and all my pics are down at the moment haha - don't worry, I'll fix this shortly.

I have a question that you can totally chose not to answer, but how much in mods so far are we looking at? I am totally not trying to get at what I realize most people reading this would get at - that you could've just bought a GTI (obviously you have an R already).

Well, initially this little 1.8T was supposed to be the 'grocery getter'/DD 'work chariot'. I had sold my MK1 Cabriolet that was my DD for five year if you can believe it, never let me down, rain, shine, sun, snow..

Decided we wanted leather/leatherette as opposed to cloth. wanted some of the nicer amenities such as the lighting package, sunroof (since the R could not be spec'd with one.. deal fell though on the Comfortline we initially ordered so we got bumped up in to a Highline with Sport/Lighting packages for next to nothing - it was an amazing deal actually. Couldn't even get in to a base GTI for what we paid on this fully loaded 1.8T (and we did consider the GTI as well)

Let's just say the VW community in general is quite helpful and amazing.. I continue to make new friends and have had a LOT of help by way of deals on parts to make my vision for this car come to fruition - I would not have been able to do it were it not for the generosity of several individuals. All the take-off parts I have been able to purchase for extremely amazing prices, and I have something in the works currently which you will see soon - be sure to subscribe to this thread haha! Long story short, I should add up what all I have in to this little 1.8T - but I can tell you this - I'm pretty sure I'm still under what a base GTI would have run me here in Canada!

The other question I had was, have you tuned yet? Earlier you mentioned you were looking into Unitronic - great choice btw. And IS20 eventually???? ?

haha well without giving all my secrets away - I have secured an IS20, but don't think I'll be able to get around to tuning it until the spring which is ok with me. And yes still thinking most likely Unitronic at this time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
How do you like the CSS sound?

Any vids on the 1.8L?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Damn how did i miss this as well!?

I LOVE it. I'm actually amazed at the sound that is coming out of this little 1.8T (stock tune, GTI TBE with CSS silencer). It definitely sounds much better than a stock GTI, I am curious to compare directly with a GTI to see how close they would sound - but highly recommended. For me it's the perfect combination of a beautiful cold start with grumbles and some pops if rev'd, to a nicely tuned sound while driving spiritedly, with no drone, and very livable as a DD.

Sorry no vids right now, but I am thinking of doing one this fall!