GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Value Tool Kit

teemmy

Ready to race!
Can anyone refer me to a good tool kit to work on our VWs with? I didn't realize I would need different tools coming from Japanese cars.

Thanks!

gx33

Ready to race!
Can anyone refer me to a good tool kit to work on our VWs with? I didn't realize I would need different tools coming from Japanese cars.

Thanks!

Make sure to pick up a full set of male and female Torx bits (T15, T20, T25, etc). Thats probably the most important thing for general repairs and mods.

teemmy

Ready to race!
would you really need female torx bits? Seems like most everything would require male. Amazon looks like a good place to start!

carterruss

Ready to race!
would you really need female torx bits? Seems like most everything would require male. Amazon looks like a good place to start!

I would say pick up some Male Torx (up to T30). And a set of metric sockets (I have used up to a 22MM so far). I have been in the engine bay a few times and those were the only tools I have really used (outside of typical screw drivers and pliers).

Artox

This one works fine for me. I dosent cost alot.

Although, if you wanna do the brakes you need a set of zxn bits (I think its no 14 for the rear)

dbrier

Bumping an old thread.
I'm used to working on Subarus and you can tear the car apart with a 10, 12, 14, 17 and 19mm sockets. I like keeping a few tools in the car, but don't need an entire set of tools. What are the basics socket sizes for VW? I've seen a few install notes that mention 15 and 18mm.
I have torxs already and picked up a set of triple square drivers. I just want a minimal set of tools in the car for emergencies. The kit I have now is built around Japanese cars and I'm afraid the wrenches in it would be the wrong sizes for my new German car.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Fortunately for you the car is still metric, so your 10,12,14,17, and 19mm are still compatible. ;)

Seriously though, if you got the torx and triple squares coupled with the other socket wrenches you're all set.

Although i always recommend a socket u-joint adapter to get in those common odd-ball angles that engineers like to put important bolts at.

dbrier

Thanks, but I was looking for something more specific. For example, Subaru didn't use a single 13, 15, or 18mm bolt on the car, so I didn't keep those sizes in the tool kit. Are there sizes VW doesn't use? What are the most common bolts?

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
https://www.amazon.com/Tools-Piece-Combo-Set-No-916-0642/dp/B001MSDCQ8

I've had this set for years and it basically covers 80% of the bases.

Has 10-32mm sockets, that also work SAE wise.

Has Torx, triple-square, and hex.

KS TOOLS is a German brand, but I believe these are made in Taiwan.

If you're looking for German made tools, you can take a bank loan and look at GEDORE, STAHLWILLE, ELORA, or HAZET.
But, they will outlast you and all your children's children

https://www.amazon.com/GEDORE-25458...TF8&qid=1497412167&sr=1-7&keywords=gedore+1/2