GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink?

IslandHydro

I googled and found how to take apart the a pillers. There was a British or AU site if I remember right. I ended up mangling my clips pretty good. :(. I don't remember reinstalling the a pallet being difficult once I figured out how it came off.

The worst part is trying to get the wire ran and covered by the headliner. I spent a while cursing trying to push the wire under the headliner and got most of it. I couldn't find a good diy on how to take that down. If I wasn't so cheap, I would have paid the dealer to do it right with the right tools.

I can't deny the awesomeness of this upgrade though. Definitely a high class upgrade.

Here's a decent write-up on a-pillar removal: LINK

xmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
Got the 000072548F mirror installed on my '17 SE finally and can confirm it fits perfectly. The cover is a real pain to get on, but it's all nice and snug once it does. I can post photos of the differences if anyone is interested.

xmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, please!
Here's the C mirror:

Here's the F mirror:

Main difference is how much more robust the F mirror bracket is and how much thicker the adjustment steam connecting the mirror itself is.

IslandHydro

So the mirror twist / locks into place. From there I simply tucked the wiring all the way along the headshell / a-pillar. I attempted to remove the light switch, but couldn't figure that out, so I managed to disconnect the harness where it connected to the switch, insert it into the mirror harness and put the new plug into the switch. I was really worried about the tucking process, but it was easy and you can't tell anything was done to the car. I'm quite pleased.

cruzmisl

Ready to race!
So the mirror twist / locks into place. From there I simply tucked the wiring all the way along the headshell / a-pillar. I attempted to remove the light switch, but couldn't figure that out, so I managed to disconnect the harness where it connected to the switch, insert it into the mirror harness and put the new plug into the switch. I was really worried about the tucking process, but it was easy and you can't tell anything was done to the car. I'm quite pleased.

You really need to get behind the a pillar and secure it to the existing wire harness that runs above the airbag, otherwise the wire is dangling in front of the airbag. I actually didn't need to remove the a pillar completely when I installed mine. I just had it popped out enough to secure the wires and feed the homelink harness through. It was awkward and time consuming (and the worst part were the christmas tree clips), but I couldn't get the bottom part of the a pillar out from where it meets the dash.

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks to shopdap.com for a great YouTube DIY.

https://youtu.be/vRzV4vKY1r4

They have 3 models of this mirror for sale, see the description in this YouTube video.

It looks like "E" is for cars with no rain sensors, "C" is for cars with rain sensors, and "F" is for cars with rain sensors and BSM/DAP.

$216 on shopdap vs $270 MSRP.

dmichael1

I have the correct mirror for my car that I bought from Alibaba a long time ago, never installed it because the wiring harness that came with it is not correct. Can anyone please post the part number for the wiring harness that strings from the headlight switch up the a-pillar and into the mirror for the "C" version ?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I have the correct mirror for my car that I bought from Alibaba a long time ago, never installed it because the wiring harness that came with it is not correct. Can anyone please post the part number for the wiring harness that strings from the headlight switch up the a-pillar and into the mirror for the "C" version ?

It looks like the wiring harness comes as a part of the package if you purchase from shopdap, vwparts etc. Not sure if it is sold separately.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Man I want

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Got the 000072548F mirror installed on my '17 SE finally and can confirm it fits perfectly. The cover is a real pain to get on, but it's all nice and snug once it does. I can post photos of the differences if anyone is interested.

The "F" model is in fact for cars with rain sensors and DAP, correct? I assume it's because this existing big block of plastic trim can hide the wires.

cruzmisl

Ready to race!
I don't think F is for that one. That mirror already has the autodim (just no homelink). But if you replace it you lose the auto high beams.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I don't think F is for that one. That mirror already has the autodim (just no homelink). But if you replace it you lose the auto high beams.

Ok. Not sure then. Shopdap.com says the F model is for cars w rain sensors and DAP.