GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engineer Types

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Problem: I have a small plain steel container with no corrosion resistance for rust. I want to use it to hold water. Is there anything I can add to slow or prevent it's rusting?

Background: Container holds 32 fluid ounces of water and 16 fluid ounces equivalent of pressurized air at a static 100 PSI. Adding any type of oil is not satisfactory.

Idea: Is it possible to add a small amount of alcohol? Note that there cannot be so much alcohol that it will remove car wax. I don't know if alcohol will do anything in any concentration.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I would say your best bet would be to put a sealant in it then wax over it to see if that can hold up to it

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
What's your application?

Looks like you're asking for a waterborne corrosion inhibitor, stuff that they may use in machine shops to reduce flash rust on fresh machine parts/act as coolant/cutting fluid. Stuff like this: https://www.zoro.com/rustlick-corrosion-protection-1gal-73011/i/G3526923/

Alcohol won't buy you anything. It's miscible in water and will likely flash off in a short amount of time. You need something that essentially coats and sticks to the steel and shuts down corrosion initiation.

Would it be fine to coat the interior with a zinc coating or anything?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
What's your application?

Looks like you're asking for a waterborne corrosion inhibitor, stuff that they may use in machine shops to reduce flash rust on fresh machine parts/act as coolant/cutting fluid. Stuff like this: https://www.zoro.com/rustlick-corrosion-protection-1gal-73011/i/G3526923/

Alcohol won't buy you anything. It's miscible in water and will likely flash off in a short amount of time. You need something that essentially coats and sticks to the steel and shuts down corrosion initiation.

Would it be fine to coat the interior with a zinc coating or anything?

Portable, air pressurized container to use for rinsing off dirt/bugs from my car or house. They make similar "garden sprayer" ones made of plastic but you need to constantly pump them by hand to maintain any pressure. The one I'm looking at is pressurized by an air compressor and keeps spraying as long as you hold down the handle. It will take up to 200 PSI but I'll never go over 100-150. It's not designed for water only because of the material and I cannot find a similar one made of stainless steel at any price.

Any additive cannot hurt anything on the car. I don't plan to wipe it off. If I use it on the house it cannot hurt house paint or wildlife. Could be there is nothing and I'll just need to buy a new one periodically.

I can open the can after every use since it will need to be refilled anyway and place it upside down to let any water drain out and dry in the air conditioned house until I need it again. It's not the rust per se since it will quickly clog the nozzle, it's having the container rupture while pressurizing that I'm concerned about.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
maybe do what they do on ships. Put a more readily oxidized metal in there such as aluminum or zinc. It will "rust" before the iron.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, i'd put a good galvanizing zinc spray and call it a day. Cures hard, actively passivates the steel minimizing corrosion (you never really stop it, speaking as a coatings/corrosion scientist).

emanon

Ready to race!
Yeah, i'd put a good galvanizing zinc spray and call it a day. Cures hard, actively passivates the steel minimizing corrosion (you never really stop it, speaking as a coatings/corrosion scientist).
What he said. Cold galv it and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
A corrosion inhibitor like sprinks said is probably your best choice. Otherwise depending on how the container is constructed you could put a liner in there so the metal isn't exposed to any water.

Enderwaves1

Get some gas tank sealer and slosh it around inside.

Example - there's lots of products out there.
http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Sealer_p_64.html

From the description, this won't be a good solution. Most sealers of this type are going to coat too thick, and gum up passages, which is exactly what he's trying to prevent.

This was my first thought, too. Using a sealer on an old Yamaha gas tank got me in some trouble as it gummed up a passage that was probably close to 1/4" in diameter. I'd say the passages The Fed is looking at are even smaller...