GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hammersticks' "Less Is More" MK7 GTI

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I'd prefer a DP for performance but not while under warranty...

Wasn't it theorized that the CSS resonator would actually quiet it down due to different perforations? I'd need to read up more before mucking around too much with it.

Thought about sound deadening the back too but seems like a bit of a hack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I'd prefer a DP for performance but not while under warranty...

Wasn't it theorized that the CSS resonator would actually quiet it down due to different perforations? I'd need to read up more before mucking around too much with it.

Thought about sound deadening the back too but seems like a bit of a hack.

Check forum Member "Sabo" build.
He has performed much work on his R regarding this sound material. Good resource and a nice guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Check forum Member "Sabo" build.
He has performed much work on his R regarding this sound material. Good resource and a nice guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you, sir! Readthebook did his too. I was absolutely amazed how much it reduced outside noise. Good for audiophiles. [emoji1]

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Off with the old and on with the new...new exhaust tips installed. Following the theme I was after a 3.5" diameter, straight edge tip that didn't stick out. These are from Red Tail Performance: RTP-013ST. (After ordering I also found them on eBay for much less...assuming they are the same ones).

I have to say, I wasn't impressed with the initial quality. The tips are solid but one of the tips had a wavy front edge. The replacement they sent had a small nick in it. Very small, but still, really??

Now that they are on I am very happy with the results though. Bigger than stock but not too big imo. Here are the pics:

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Replacement springs on the front and 30mm KW spacers installed on the rear per http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=465102&postcount=27

Added new clear tubing from the local hardware store to the front springs. Had to use ample WD-40 to get them on.

Old and new:

After being re-used about 10x I figured it was also probably time to replace the rear control arm nuts and bolts as well so that's done.

All cleaned up...

Last edited:

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Weird, I can see them...hopefully they show up. Nothing earth-shattering, but I like them...although I can see a couple specks of rust starting to form on the insides...may need to drill a hole in the bottoms, and/or spray some high temp black rust-proof paint in there.

Weird. The pics are showing now. Must've been some glitch.

Car looks good! I like the tips.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Thanks!

Also, the only drawback to raising the rear is increased body roll, naturally. I had been thinking about the HR 24mm RSB but don't like that it's not adjustable. Perhaps the 034 25mm solid adjustable RSB.

Last edited:

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
Thanks! And yes absolutely. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I'm a firm believer that guys who think a front bar isn't necessary on these cars haven't had one before...maybe for casual street use a RSB alone is sufficient but this balanced it out like I wanted.

Did you ever do a full review of your FSB install or after install driveability?

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
Just read through your build and I'm liking it! We seem to have pretty similar mindsets/taste... ;)

But hey as an FYI; I've seen putting plastic tubing on springs actually trap moisture which quickens corrosion of the finish or paint, and lead to rusty springs. Might not be an issue where you are, but figure I'd let ya know.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Did you ever do a full review of your FSB install or after install driveability?

Sorry, no full review but there is info out there. Just search for sways...or there is always this MK6 sway bar thread masterpiece
Driveability wasn't impacted, or if it was I couldn't tell. The only downside is labor/cost, but if I had it to do all over again I'd do/get the get the exact same thing..at least in the front.

If you're at all bothered by front-end body roll I'd recommend taking the plunge.

Just read through your build and I'm liking it! We seem to have pretty similar mindsets/taste... ;)

But hey as an FYI; I've seen putting plastic tubing on springs actually trap moisture which quickens corrosion of the finish or paint, and lead to rusty springs. Might not be an issue where you are, but figure I'd let ya know.

Thanks! I like it. As for the plastic tubing, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eye out. The first set of springs had a different material tubing, but fully wrapped tubing nonetheless. Hopefully the weather here is mild enough not to impact anything but we shall see. Honestly though, it was either that, nothing, or pay around $25 a spring for the Tein isolaters. $6 OTD for both sides won. :)

Again though, thanks and nice ride to you!

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I had been getting this hideous creaking noise when turning left since about the time I replaced the front springs. After having done this job numerous times I was confident it on the install, but where the h#%* was this noise coming from? Had I jacked my car up too many times and bent something? Was it the front sway? Was it the seats? etc... After drowning out the noise with the stereo for a couple months I had had enough. Busted out the GoPro and went sleuthing. Here are the fruits of my labor...
https://youtu.be/G2tv1db19uM

Per the description it ended up being two very loose 13mm bolts on the subframe. Those must not have been torqued down when the sway install was done...or they somehow came loose (no worries as the labor for that was cheap). All tightened up and creak-free now. [emoji106]

Last edited: