GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quietest Downpipe Out There???

TorontoMK7R

Okay, I know, a downpipe makes the car sound better. But not to my wife it doesn't. So I'm looking for the quietest DP to go with a stock cat on a MK7 Golf R. Any recommendations based on volume? Cheers! :D

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Definitely Catless out of question[emoji41]

LeoA86

Ready to race!
In my personal opinion, the neuspeed down pipe with stock cat back and resonator delete is perfect. very mild. Not loud at all.

madelinot

Ready to race!
I have the catted CTS wrapped with exhaust heat shield/wrap. I was surprised how quiet it was. I was also afraid it was going to make the car too loud or annoying, but not at all.

I'm rather sensitive to noise; I will NOT make a modification that will create noise if it doesn't give me a substantial performance benefit. That's the reason why I went with a cat (and the smell) and the reason why I'm keeping the stock resonator.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Okay, I know, a downpipe makes the car sound better. But not to my wife it doesn't. So I'm looking for the quietest DP to go with a stock cat on a MK7 Golf R. Any recommendations based on volume? Cheers! :D

The OE cat is welded to the OE downpipe. You will not be able to use it with an aftermarket downpipe.

Check out AWE, or any other resonated downpipes that are catted. As mentioned by Chronic, catless is out of the question.

JTK37

I just put on an AWE resonated and catted downpipe. I've got about 400 miles on it now and I'm very happy with it. It may actually be too quiet. At start up and idle there is no difference in volume over the stock DP. Under WOT it may be marginally louder but its a great sound. Cruising, normal acceleration it may even be quieter than the stock.

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
Quietest hands down will probably be AWE resonated.

I have APR which is catted non resonated with stock. The untrained ear will not realize the car isn't stock. But it made a nice subtle difference. Recommended.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Tuning will add some noise but you didn't mention you were tuned or planned to be. And is there a cat that allows you to pass emissions testing if you have one? Aftermarket ones attached to DP'S are usually only half as effective, and you'll have a CEL without a rear O2 sensor or a tune. And you won't pass a stringent visual emissions inspection. In the case where you don't have a tune and still have DSG clutch slippage or an engine problem (since it happens even on bone stock engines) you'll need to go back to stock for warranty work. While a dealer might not care VW may very well send a field rep for high cost drivetrain repairs.

Last edited:

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion

Both cats are in the stock downpipe...Or do you mean a downpipe to go with the stock catback? The AWE Catted Resonated is my choice option if the latter.

Sounds similar to stock but gives you all the benefits of driveability and power gains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmIcV_4zZ78