GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problems getting up Rhino Ramps. Am I an idiot?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I was definitely on the brake trying to goose it up. I'll have to take a brave pill and stay off the foot brake and head up with my hand on the hand brake. Thanks for the advice.

I too was shocked the Rhinos worked. They did not on the 15 6MT. Idk. Something different about the 17 Sport trim wPP? All bone stock. There was not a ton of clearance but there was no contact.

Lower it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
No problem getting up these with my manual :). Although since I lowered my car I have to position my ramps going down the sloped driveway or else I will just push them with the front of my car. Need to either make some or buy a low profile design :/

NH_MKVII

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a '17 6mt and I've noticed that when the clutch is engaged, the throttle pedal does not work when the brake pedal is depressed at the same time. I realize that it sounds like you would never do this anyway, but I still don't like that the car is not allowing me full control. That's the whole point of wanting manual to begin with. This is the first of 12 cars I've owned that does this.
I wonder if it is the same thing with DSG. You said you were riding the brake pedal due to fear of climbing too quickly. I bet that your throttle is being cut electronically with the brake applied, just like mine is. Frustrating. I'd bet it's a "safety" feature designed to guard against people that don't know how to drive. It's hindering mindful techniques that have worked for years, thereby enabling people to become worse drivers.
The good thing is that when the clutch is disengaged, the throttle and brake can be applied at the same time (necessary for heel-toe downshifting).

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
No.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I have had rhinos for at least 20 years and they have held up well. But, the grade is still too steep for most lowered cars for them to work well. I used to have to wedge them in under the front lip and under the tires to get them to work. I got tired of that and now use the RR-XT-2 Race Ramps. They are a tad pricy, but they are awesome for lowered cars. Instead of the 7" height my rhinos had, these give 10" of lift. Much more comfortable to work under and they are so easy to drive up on (forward or backward).

You can also get them as one piece ramps for a bit cheaper.

http://a.co/b8f5vTX

P.S. just did the IS20 upgrade and the DP on the ramps about 10 days ago. Worked like a charm.

gameaud

Ready to race!
I was definitely on the brake trying to goose it up. I'll have to take a brave pill and stay off the foot brake and head up with my hand on the hand brake. Thanks for the advice.

I too was shocked the Rhinos worked. They did not on the 15 6MT. Idk. Something different about the 17 Sport trim wPP? All bone stock. There was not a ton of clearance but there was no contact.

hmm interesting. I bought rhino ramps but couldn't get the car on without scraping, it would touch the bottom of the front lip thing before i even move the car. Had to return the rhino ramps and will probably just crawl underneath the car to install the jb1 haha

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
For those who have rhinos and scrap, add a few boards (2x6 or 2x8s) on the run up so you extend the base of the ramps.

God I'm an idiot. Why did i not think of this.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
hmm interesting. I bought rhino ramps but couldn't get the car on without scraping, it would touch the bottom of the front lip thing before i even move the car. Had to return the rhino ramps and will probably just crawl underneath the car to install the jb1 haha
If you just need to install the jb1, park the right front tire up on a curb. Should give you enough clearance to crawl under there. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk