GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shudder at idle

eobie

Ready to race!
What about your pcv system? Have you checked that. I know alot of newer cars seem to have this tough idle. My 2013 civic so I had before this did the same thing at idle. Wasn't as noticeable until I changed the rear motor mount.

Possible... I have a APR catch can.. it's empty.. :)

eobie

Ready to race!
Try changing the idle speed.

Via OBDEleven and VCDS:

Control Units-->ECU-->Adaptations-->Idle RPM Correction

Change value to what you want up to a limit of 50

You may still experience a slight stumble or "soft" misfire on idle.

Just raised it, thanks. I try increasing it before with VCDS but it would keep failing. Just updated VCDS and now it worked. :) Time shall tell!

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!

Via OBDEleven and VCDS:

SOOOO Happy this is now possible!! I'll be doing this myself just because I still notice it every now and again. Hoping th ecombo of RS7 plugs and 50 rpm increase resolves this issue. :)

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion

Via OBDEleven and VCDS:

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar, this is an amazing discovery.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!

Via OBDEleven and VCDS:

On obdeleven it gives you the parameters of "0-255" why do you say select 50? I appreciate you finding and sharing this. I set it to 50 and it feels better, but still recording missfires just not as many

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
A shift of 100 would be ideal, my car ran so much smoother with a load from the AC.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
A shift of 100 would be ideal, my car ran so much smoother with a load from the AC.
Yeah but i dont think it works like that. I dont believe it raised the idle 50 rpm as my rpm stayed just short of 800 as usual. I think its some sort of algerithim nerd stuff. That's why im asking if there is a reason 50 was selected. You could always try 100 and let us know

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
yea same issue here, without ac on i get a weird idle at times. Cold starts are perfect, its like at 1k but then once it warms up it drops to like 0.7k and gives me that weird idle at times. I changes plugs to rs7 and got a bit better but still there. Its the rpms for sure

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Same here, tried changing spark plugs but it's almost the same.
I noticed first at 8k miles Apr stage 1, now 22k stage 2 is the same at least is not worst...

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I'm also interested in why 50 haha

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I'm not the one that figured it out. That credit goes to WOLF, he put it in one of his videos last week. In it, he says that VCDS will only allow you to do 50. I haven't tested any higher than 50 so that's why I said that number in the post.

My understanding is that this function is there to provide a quick way to adjust idle speed without changing how the engine is running/programmed. It basically just tells the ecu to add 50rpm to what the ecu thinks the idle speed should be.

I wouldn't read too much into the 0-255 part. I can tell you that that range is there because of the binary language that the ecu uses.

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Sooooooooo, after reading this thread for a while I notice that the idle does seem to be a bit rough. It's so subtle though. I've noticed it after I installed the engine and transmission mounts a few weeks ago.

I've heard the idle discribed as "fish bite idle". Sounds about right. But it's not bad enough to really bother me. Compared to a diesel that I came from it's definitely smoother :cool:

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
Just because of this and we'll the fact that I can do other things as well I have orders an obdeleven since my girlfriend has a gs5 laying around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk