GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installed new CTS inlet; found oil in the stock unit

3deeps

So, I purchased a new CTS inlet pipe something like 5 months ago and finally got around to installing it. I'll start with a few thought on the inlet:

1. Quality is very good. Smooth pipe, sturdy clean welds.
  2. The install is super easy. The hardest part is getting the vent hose off. I used a small flathead screw driver to help.
  3. The vent hose didn't seem to clip back on firmly. I was expecting a click that I could feel. It seems to be on good enough though.
  4. Turbo noise increase? Not really. I already have an AFE intake on so I didn't really notice much more after installing this.
  5. Power Increase? Not really. Nothing really appreciable felt. I'll give it some more time but I honestly didn't notice much.
Now for the issue (I think). When I removed the stock pipe there was oil in it; both in the vent hose part and the main pipe. It wasn't a pool of oil but seemed like a pretty good amount to me. I have pictures but can't upload them as everything's blocked at work.

The question is, is this to be expected to an extent or should I put everything back to stock and bring it in? I have a 2016 that's almost a year and a half old with only 8700 miles on it. Also, is it really necessary to put the stock pipes back on? Are the dealers/VW really that ridiculous?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
That hose is part of the PCV system, normal to see oil there.

If you want to get rid of it get a catch can.

3deeps

I have the AFE intake system so everything from the filter to the turbo is aftermarket.

I really would love to say I felt a difference but unfortunately I didn't. Maybe a little difference when I first put on the intake system but not much at all from the inlet.

My assumption is once I tune, the opened up intake setup will help a bit more.

GTIguy097

i just did the elbow/turbo muffler delete from cts. both parts are awesome quality as always. the biggest thing I noticed is top end seemed to pull harder after the install.

eboord87

i just did the elbow/turbo muffler delete from cts. both parts are awesome quality as always. the biggest thing I noticed is top end seemed to pull harder after the install.

I'll second that. I did the same thing, only I spaced each install out by like two days (turbo muffler delete first). Power curve seemed to have moved a bit towards the top. Not sure if overall it did much as far as gains, but I'm also not at all tuned. Hopefully my plans to go JB4 make these little installs go a bit further.

Oh, and I noticed a bit of difference in sound as well. Not huge, but enough to make me grin a bit more with the windows down :D

$0.02

teemmy

Ready to race!
Hrm... I found the sound to be pretty significant even after I removed the soundaktor... My car sounds like it has a small diesel engine now. I'm debating whether or not I want to take it off.

Anyone else have this problem with a turbo inlet install?