GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Im not stacked i'm JB4 only. But yes it goes against everthing I though as well, but after talking to George and having a gunie pig test car it proves to work. Test car spiked 23 held 20 psi across board only tapering to 20-19 at 6k RPMs afrs good, trims good, timing good.. Posting logs soon

As far as your is12 setup Twindad it would not apply to you because stock turbo runs outa steam and start blowing fire at higher rpms on higher boost. With egts that high ecu has no choice but to dump fuel to keep temps under control, vs the is20 that blows ice cubes on our cars due to small displacement motor and bigger turbski's efficency

Wow, I can only imagine how much power you must be making right now holding nearly 20psi to 6k rpm on probably probably e30+. I know I can go further than where I am now, but that's a lot further. I guess I'm going to have to try out some E85 soon.

That's a good price, but unlike a downpipe where it's really just a pipe and I'm not too concerned about quality, I would need some good reviews proving that this works well and won't throw metal scraps or something into my engine. Still though, I really need an intercooler so this is tempting.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Anyone want to try this? Their downpipe works great!

It really doesn't look bad at all, but I don't want to be the guinea pig either, haha! Would be great if someone had one of these and could run some logs for us.

Meth works great too. Cooler temps than intercooler, adds some fueling headroom, keeps valves clean, reduces egt.

Yeah, that is also tempting and has been on my radar since the JB allows seamless integration and control. Are you already running the BMS kit for $339? How about the Hobbs switch as a failsafe?

I also would want to run it from my windshield solvent reservoir to keep everything under the hood.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
It really doesn't look bad at all, but I don't want to be the guinea pig either, haha! Would be great if someone had one of these and could run some logs for us.

Yeah, that is also tempting and has been on my radar since the JB allows seamless integration and control. Are you already running the BMS kit for $339? How about the Hobbs switch as a failsafe?

I also would want to run it from my windshield solvent reservoir to keep everything under the hood.

I got a used devils own stage 1 Hobbs switch setup on ebay last year. It worked perfectly when I was using a small do2 nozzle. Pretty much just for cooling. But looking at early logs with is20, George suggested I could get a big benefit from a larger nozzle and progressive control.

So soon I'll be going with a cm5 (cooling mist) or do5 (devils own) nozzle and using the jb4 with cooling mist/burger failsafe board and solenoid.

With the do2 I could just start full spray at 5psi with no issues. But the size 5 or larger nozzle will choke things out and confuse the ecu. To get the benefits early cooling and too end cooling fueling, you need progressive control.

I tapped the windshield washer tank and used the Devils own aluminum bung adaptor. The plastic one is okay, but it can break. I broke one.

Aluminum one. It's worth the price:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Devils-Own-30...tal-Bulkhead-Fitting-/381943689868?nav=SEARCH

Tons of room to mount pump behind passenger inner fender plastic. I did mine on drivers side, but I had to get more "creative" to do it and would not do it that way again.

I've been running 100% methanol.

Meth can get us past any need for an intercooler and benefit fuel trim headroom. Tune is great, intercooler is great, but meth also compliments them too. I decided meth gets the most benefit at the lowest cost. Its awsome to see intake temps to from 125 To 60 when spraying starts on a 80 degree day.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Looks pretty good. Seems to be very similar to my logs, maybe 1ish psi higher everywhere, which is very impressive considering I'm 3500 ft higher than you so your absolute pressure will be probably 3 psi higher than mine everywhere. That's a lot!

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Looks pretty good. Seems to be very similar to my logs, maybe 1ish psi higher everywhere, which is very impressive considering I'm 3500 ft higher than you so your absolute pressure will be probably 3 psi higher than mine everywhere. That's a lot!

Yes.

Attachments

• ZomboMeme 25042017191751.jpg
    ZomboMeme 25042017191751.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 505

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion

Thanks, looks pretty clean. Boost holding nice and steady throughout the meat of the powerband. Trims hitting 50, but AFR staying well under 14, except for a few cells. Can't see if there was any timing pull going on or not, assuming it was fairly clean?

I got a used devils own stage 1 Hobbs switch setup on ebay last year. It worked perfectly when I was using a small do2 nozzle. Pretty much just for cooling. But looking at early logs with is20, George suggested I could get a big benefit from a larger nozzle and progressive control.

So soon I'll be going with a cm5 (cooling mist) or do5 (devils own) nozzle and using the jb4 with cooling mist/burger failsafe board and solenoid.

With the do2 I could just start full spray at 5psi with no issues. But the size 5 or larger nozzle will choke things out and confuse the ecu. To get the benefits early cooling and too end cooling fueling, you need progressive control.

I tapped the windshield washer tank and used the Devils own aluminum bung adaptor. The plastic one is okay, but it can break. I broke one.

Aluminum one. It's worth the price:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Devils-Own-30...tal-Bulkhead-Fitting-/381943689868?nav=SEARCH

Tons of room to mount pump behind passenger inner fender plastic. I did mine on drivers side, but I had to get more "creative" to do it and would not do it that way again.

I've been running 100% methanol.

Meth can get us past any need for an intercooler and benefit fuel trim headroom. Tune is great, intercooler is great, but meth also compliments them too. I decided meth gets the most benefit at the lowest cost. Its awsome to see intake temps to from 125 To 60 when spraying starts on a 80 degree day.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing the info! Definitely need to figure out what I want to do next.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion

Yeah, very clean. Good timing advance, no pull. Must be targeting 15-16 PSI. If you want, you can step +0.5 PSI higher and give it a try. If all is clean, try +1 PSI higher.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Looks good, but boost a little low. What are your settings?

One of these is a map6 where I am targeting 15.5 and pretty much hitting the target. The second one is a map 2 that is hitting the targeted boost but the boost request was low for some reason. Not sure why the request was low.

I have been staying conservative in map6 and mostly running in map2 as I am one of the DSG 4motion wagons that is having problems with erratic AFR and trims. It really only happens when I floor it and it kicks down a gear or use launch control. If I roll into the throttle this is what I get. I found that it helps if I turn ESC of completely as well.

Last edited:

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Yeah, very clean. Good timing advance, no pull. Must be targeting 15-16 PSI. If you want, you can step +0.5 PSI higher and give it a try. If all is clean, try +1 PSI higher.

15.5 target. I have had it set as high as 17.5 with no timing pull(Very cold weather) but when it shifts it spikes to 20+ going to the next gear but that was a while ago when this thing was having very erratic AFR's. I may try it again now that its behaving a little better. Long story short, I had a bad unit and was having some serious cut out problems and weird behavior. George shipped me another box and it ran much better but the AFR was really erratic. After driving it around for about 2 months without flogging it too hard and not logging it at all as I was really too busy to mess with it the AFR appears to have settled down quite a bit.

Evan running conservative maps this thing is pretty impressive off the line with the 4motion. It surprises a lot of people when it gaps them without a squeak from the tires. lol

Last edited: