GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which cars did you cross shop when buying your R?

ImolaR

Ready to race!
If that came in hatch here it would be hard to resist. All the other cars i would like are absurdly expensive- alfa stelvio q, macan turbo, gc trackhawk lol, next gen gla45 with eturbo maybe , but i can actually afford the R

I'd be stunned if it came in hatch spec. I'm pretty shocked the RS3 is coming honestly. Closest you'll get to the RS3 hatch in the states is the A45 AMG, which again I am surprised its here..in a good way! Always happy when I see one. Its about time Audi brings back the RS sedan to the states, we have been without them (not including the RS7) since the old RS4 V8 from 2008. I imagine that the new RS3 replaces the RS4 for us. That 5cyl is simply a masterpiece, I praise Auto for keeping it in production. Without that motor the new TTRS and RS3 would loose A LOT of their appeal.

Enjoy the new car (when you get it), I bet you will LOVE it!

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
I'd be stunned if it came in hatch spec. I'm pretty shocked the RS3 is coming honestly. Closest you'll get to the RS3 hatch in the states is the A45 AMG, which again I am surprised its here..in a good way! Always happy when I see one. Its about time Audi brings back the RS sedan to the states, we have been without them (not including the RS7) since the old RS4 V8 from 2008. I imagine that the new RS3 replaces the RS4 for us. That 5cyl is simply a masterpiece, I praise Auto for keeping it in production. Without that motor the new TTRS and RS3 would loose A LOT of their appeal.

Enjoy the new car (when you get it), I bet you will LOVE it!

I have watched every youtube review video... I'm very impatient. It won't be until late summer(think July/August) which makes the wait painful.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
RS, STI, Mustang 5.0, 987 Boxster S

AR11

Ready to race!
Seems like a lot of people "settled" for an R instead of a more expensive option. Just an observation. Personally, the R was on the upper end of my considerations.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
When I started looking for a new car a few years back, I came close to buying a Focus ST, but I thought the back seat was like sitting in a coffin, the piped in engine sound was way too intrusive, and the overall fit and finish wasn't all that I had hoped for it to be. Had the dealer not been a total d*ck, I probably would have bought one, despite my quibbles, as it was fun to drive. That same week I read about the (then) new Golf R in development and was seriously interested.

In the many months between the debacle at the Ford dealership and VW finally bringing the R to the US I seriously considered a Subbie STI, but was way put off by how cheap and dated feeling the interior was for a near $40 K car. The "Gee Look At Me" rear wing didn't win me over either. It was a fun little ride though.

The Audi S3 had me seriously looking as well but, while not as bad as the Focus, the rear seating was unimpressive with my head (I'm 5'11") touching the head liner and the optional sport seats blocking so much of the view ahead. I also didn't care for the dash layout with an expanse of nothingness in front of the passenger coupled with an outdated instrument nacelle in front of the driver. But what really told me to wait for the R was the tiny trunk. It was significantly smaller than the Mk4 GLI I was driving then, and I dearly was looking for a new car with even more cargo room.

Then, shortly after putting some money down with my local VW dealer to hold their first R for me, my salesman asked me to test drive a Power Pack GTI they had just gotten on the lot. It was tempting, as it ticked off most of my boxes, but I wanted the R and had the money for it, so I waited for VW to finally start delivering them in early 2015.

Best car buying decision I ever made.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
cla/gla 45 amg, m235i, s3

xChrisx718

Passed Driver's Ed
Started out looking for an mk4 R32, couldnt find one with less then 100k miles, then went to the M2 and 08 SRT cherokee. M2 wasnt available yet and the srt has terrible gas milage. My friend told me about the mk7 Golf R, test drove it and i was hooked.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
Interesting. Why the R over these, if I may ask? Just curious.

I really wanted MT but would take any of the others if the price was right

cla/gla 45amg were way over priced tbh.
2016 models got the power increase (355 to 375)and were starting at 45k..but no one wants a base model so the ones they had avail on the lot were pushing 70k
2014 CLAs were still at 42k with like 20-30k miles.
after sitting in a gla 45 and then checking out a cla 250...it seemed kinda cramped.
GLA was the optimal choice between the these two models since I do have two poms and a corgi that I take to the dog park or beach on weekends (my poms are prissy. they like getting dirty...just a pain to clean)

m235i. had the manual transmission I wanted..but it was two dr and only sat 4. again just like the cla/gla..the m235i pushes over 300 bhp. found a couple good deals...but I couldn't get past the 2dr body..

s3. passed on the s3 right away because it was dsg/auto only..over budget..interior was really nice though..hard passed on the s3 once I found out it was the same engine/platform as the golf r.

the reason why I chose the golf r. It was different, and I wanted to be different. I have two close friends that are into euros. One has an e36 m3, and at the time had a v10 m5 (dealer blew his engine so he took a settlement) and got an e90 m3. I have another friend that drives a c63 amg (don't remember year but I believe it was last gen body style). The golf r offers manual transmission. I love MT cars. theyre fun. they let me be in control. If I had to do it all over again I still would not pick the dsg model or an s3 for that matter and that's even pricing the s3 at golf r price.
The golf r has 4 doors (5 including hatch..) there plenty of room for my girlfriend and I and my three dogs. I recently picked up my parents from LAX after their trip from the Philippines, and I was amazed that their four turn in luggages fit (of course with the wider side of the bench down). I like my seat back a bit when I drive and on the commute home my mom did not complain once about the space. she actually said that there was still more space than she expected in the back with the seat folded. Last but not least..as I mentioned earlier I wanted to be different. Yes, could of just went the m3 or c63 route..but it would've been older models..2009-2011. yes I could've waited a little bit longer and maybe I would have developed a bigger interest in dual clutch system..but there is nothing like having that third pedal..

#noregerts

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I really wanted MT but would take any of the others if the price was right

cla/gla 45amg were way over priced tbh.
2016 models got the power increase (355 to 375)and were starting at 45k..but no one wants a base model so the ones they had avail on the lot were pushing 70k
2014 CLAs were still at 42k with like 20-30k miles.
after sitting in a gla 45 and then checking out a cla 250...it seemed kinda cramped.
GLA was the optimal choice between the these two models since I do have two poms and a corgi that I take to the dog park or beach on weekends (my poms are prissy. they like getting dirty...just a pain to clean)

m235i. had the manual transmission I wanted..but it was two dr and only sat 4. again just like the cla/gla..the m235i pushes over 300 bhp. found a couple good deals...but I couldn't get past the 2dr body..

s3. passed on the s3 right away because it was dsg/auto only..over budget..interior was really nice though..hard passed on the s3 once I found out it was the same engine/platform as the golf r.

the reason why I chose the golf r. It was different, and I wanted to be different. I have two close friends that are into euros. One has an e36 m3, and at the time had a v10 m5 (dealer blew his engine so he took a settlement) and got an e90 m3. I have another friend that drives a c63 amg (don't remember year but I believe it was last gen body style). The golf r offers manual transmission. I love MT cars. theyre fun. they let me be in control. If I had to do it all over again I still would not pick the dsg model or an s3 for that matter and that's even pricing the s3 at golf r price.
The golf r has 4 doors (5 including hatch..) there plenty of room for my girlfriend and I and my three dogs. I recently picked up my parents from LAX after their trip from the Philippines, and I was amazed that their four turn in luggages fit (of course with the wider side of the bench down). I like my seat back a bit when I drive and on the commute home my mom did not complain once about the space. she actually said that there was still more space than she expected in the back with the seat folded. Last but not least..as I mentioned earlier I wanted to be different. Yes, could of just went the m3 or c63 route..but it would've been older models..2009-2011. yes I could've waited a little bit longer and maybe I would have developed a bigger interest in dual clutch system..but there is nothing like having that third pedal..

#noregerts

Gotcha. I am a manual guy, too, but really, looking to the future, after the R...there isn't much with a manual that is not a side-grade. So I'm pretty much resigned to getting an automatic for my next car, though ideally I'd be able to have two, one with a manual and RWD for summer and the other for the rest of the year (which hear is, um, like six to nine months of non-RWD weather). But realistically, I can only have one car.

So, next car? If I had to choose _right now!_ it'd be a C43 AMG or an S4, assuming I could, um, find the money.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
Gotcha. I am a manual guy, too, but really, looking to the future, after the R...there isn't much with a manual that is not a side-grade. So I'm pretty much resigned to getting an automatic for my next car, though ideally I'd be able to have two, one with a manual and RWD for summer and the other for the rest of the year (which hear is, um, like six to nine months of non-RWD weather). But realistically, I can only have one car.

So, next car? If I had to choose _right now!_ it'd be a C43 AMG or an S4, assuming I could, um, find the money.

I hear ya man...MT is a dying skill...FAST LOL. specially with the DCT/DSG tech. ill have no other choice but to get a DCT car.

my next car...m6 gran coupe, or a tesla..

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
There are a bunch of Teslas up here, which is kind of funny, because the winters are harsh, and even a $100k electric loses a lot of battery power/range at twenty below zero.

The Teslas look slick, I'll admit, but I can't (yet) get my head around the sort of "drive by iPad" look of the interior. But boy they are quiet. And quick.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
There are a bunch of Teslas up here, which is kind of funny, because the winters are harsh, and even a $100k electric loses a lot of battery power/range at twenty below zero.

The Teslas look slick, I'll admit, but I can't (yet) get my head around the sort of "drive by iPad" look of the interior. But boy they are quiet. And quick.

haha. thankfully I don't get those types of weather here in san diego.
yeah they are stealthy cars.