GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

Mydixadryl

Ready to race!
Been running jb4 map 2 stock with e25. Just installed catless dp last night. Want to push the car a little more but nothing crazy. Was thinking maybe just adding 1 psi to every value over the map 2 settings. Anyone know the map 2 settings or should I try a different route?
The easiest way to do this is to take a Map2 log and have a look at the Target measurement. This is a gradually increasing additive value ranging from 4 to 5.4. You can plot these values into Map6 as a range of additive data points that match up with the RPM values, adding 1 to all values.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
Question about stock plugs vs. one step colder plugs. I am running map 2 with DP and CAI on 93 oct. No CEL. I think it pulls strong and runs smooth as is. No logs to back that up. Would I need to go one step colder on the plugs or are stock plugs fine? Do I need to log data to determine if I need colder plugs? Thanks.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Question about stock plugs vs. one step colder plugs. I am running map 2 with DP and CAI on 93 oct. No CEL. I think it pulls strong and runs smooth as is. No logs to back that up. Would I need to go one step colder on the plugs or are stock plugs fine? Do I need to log data to determine if I need colder plugs? Thanks.

Stock plugs are fine.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Stock plugs are fine.

Agreed. If tuned, I would change them every 30-40k though (instead of every 60k). One member had a stock plug fail with around ~40k on the plugs while tuned. He was lucky it didn't damage the motor or turbo. Might be a fluke, but it got my attention LOL.

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
Stock plugs are fine.

Agreed. If tuned, I would change them every 30-40k though (instead of every 60k). One member had a stock plug fail with around ~40k on the plugs while tuned. He was lucky it didn't damage the motor or turbo. Might be a fluke, but it got my attention LOL.

Great thanks for the info. appreciate it.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
So a plug fowling or failing causes motor/turbo damage? Never heard that before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
If the ceramic or a electrode comes off it sure can scrape up a cylinder wall.

True it that's rare - more likely it starts fowling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
True it that's rare - more likely it starts fowling

Not as rare as one might think. If you do a Google search, I'm sure you will find some horror stories. It happened to me on an old VW Fox in the '90s. I have also seen it happen on other cars when I worked at a garage in college. It mostly happens due to neglected maint. or improper gapping technique etc.. Once tuned, you are abusing the plugs more, so they should be replaced more often. Some get lucky, some don't. I wasn't so lucky on my Fox. I failed a compression test for the affected cylinder and was burning a quart of oil per week :(

apostoly

Passed Driver's Ed
So i just ordered myself a CTS Turbo Catted DP and am contemplating whether to buy an o2 sensor cel eliminator.

I think i read that the JB4 will have a code reading function eventually, just wondering if anyone or George knows if this will clear the CEL from the DP?

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
So i just ordered myself a CTS Turbo Catted DP and am contemplating whether to buy an o2 sensor cel eliminator.

I think i read that the JB4 will have a code reading function eventually, just wondering if anyone or George knows if this will clear the CEL from the DP?

Buy the spacer.

MauricioGTI

Go Kart Newbie

This auto clear function is a promise for the firmware update that will happen by the end of the month. We are almost there :)

apostoly

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea i just bought one, spent all that money, might as well spend an extra little bit and get piece of mind. Even with the Auto clear function of JB4.

Ill probably chuck on ED Stage 2 and just see how it feels for a bit. Just scared its a little too boost happy for my liking

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

It is recommended to get the spacer regardless. The rear O2 sensor is used for part throttle driving and you going to want to have stock like readings. It does not harm anything not to have it but its worth the extra few $.