GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake Idea

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
So I have been thinking about how people drill the blockage on the snorkel intake to let air flow directly into the intake itself. COBB on their intake provide a designed snorkel.

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PRS/7V2100+-+Volkswagen+MK7+SF+Intake+System

Look at installation step 1 and 2 and the pictures. So me playing around asked them if you can purchase the parts and you can BUT the cost is an arm and a leg.

They are asking 40 for the lid and 95 for the Snorkel assembly below. 135....I think dremel the stock part might be the cheaper solution.

Any ideas?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
It looks like they still use the stock grill piece as well, so it's still pulling air across the top of the hot radiator. Just dremel out the stock grill piece, cut out the apron in front of it to match the other side, remove the snow guard, block off the hot side and use a drop in. You can then add a new turbo inlet pipe if you want to free up that a little bit. I also did a 4" long x 1" wide cut out in the bottom of the stock airbox right next to where the factory snorkel comes in. It will pull air in from the bottom right corner kind of b hind the headlight and where the washer fill up is. It will also help act as a drain if any water happens to get in there through the snorkel IMG_7865.JPGIMG_7866.JPG

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Yeah. I dont mind the stock side being open as it sends cool air to the engine compartment as well. I will just dremel the intake side to open that one up.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Yeah. I dont mind the stock side being open as it sends cool air to the engine compartment as well. I will just dremel the intake side to open that one up.

I left that open. I just blocked it in the center so the intake only pulls from where i cut out the grill

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
You realize the thing in the middle of the bottom of the air box is already a drain right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, fully aware. That was not the purpose of why I did it. I said it will help if water gets in. I have the grill cut completely out in from of the airbox and I have a golf. There is a large enough gap between the grill and the hood on my car to put my fingers in. The gti doesn't have this. I blocked off the center of the hot feed. My air now comes straight through here and directly into the airbox. The downside is that stuff gets in there easily. The extra hole just allows more air in and will help let water out fast if it gets in. Don't know if it actually helps 100%, but you can hear the intake and turbo a touch more. My IAT was also lower by a bit, but I will have to log more to see

Angel Mafia

Passed Driver's Ed
I have been thinking about doing this myself sometime soon. As I read through this post I can't find a direct answer to this... If I COMPLETELY cut out the plastic blockage in front of my stock airbox, am I going to run the risk of negative things happening? I know water and such... In my noobish mind I can't think of anything too crazy outside of that. This is a question for people that have done this to their MK7: can you hear the turbo a little more? Do you notice ANY differences in drivability?

wlfpck

Ready to race!
With open intake system... you definitely want to remove that duct piece.

With a closed air system... it depends on a bit more things.

For instance... the Autotech, P34, X34, intakes are all "sealed". When I say sealed, I mean that they are locked tight enough that basically all air will get pulled through that front duct. Front duct being the part that Revo and Unitronic both have carbon fiber replacements for.

If you don't have this sealed against the duct, you can have a closed system that will still pull air from the engine bay.

Now if you do the front duct cut out or the Unitronic/Revo front duct... you make it available to pull from outside since the intake is sealed with it. But... unlike the passenger side where it is vented... you won't be able to pull in as "fast" as you want.

Look at the Eventuri intake....

http://www.eventuri.net/products/vw-golf-mk7-gti/

Honestly, the front duct cut out or Unitronic/Revo front duct with something similar to the eventuri intake plate (Note that they had to cut in the top and add that diverter plate) with the P34, Autotech, X34, AFE is probably the best overall setup.

I probably missed a couple more intakes... but pretty much anything that creates a SEALED system with the use of the stock box bottom.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
With open intake system... you definitely want to remove that duct piece.

With a closed air system... it depends on a bit more things.

For instance... the Autotech, P34, X34, intakes are all "sealed". When I say sealed, I mean that they are locked tight enough that basically all air will get pulled through that front duct. Front duct being the part that Revo and Unitronic both have carbon fiber replacements for.

If you don't have this sealed against the duct, you can have a closed system that will still pull air from the engine bay.

Now if you do the front duct cut out or the Unitronic/Revo front duct... you make it available to pull from outside since the intake is sealed with it. But... unlike the passenger side where it is vented... you won't be able to pull in as "fast" as you want.

Look at the Eventuri intake....

http://www.eventuri.net/products/vw-golf-mk7-gti/

Honestly, the front duct cut out or Unitronic/Revo front duct with something similar to the eventuri intake plate (Note that they had to cut in the top and add that diverter plate) with the P34, Autotech, X34, AFE is probably the best overall setup.

I probably missed a couple more intakes... but pretty much anything that creates a SEALED system with the use of the stock box bottom.

That Eventuri intake looks really nice!

Angel Mafia

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking online... I see pricing anywhere from $930 to $1090 for the full system. I can't tell if any of them are available though. It pays to look and feel good i guess! IMO this is the best looking intake that I have seen. A little rich for my blood.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
LOL!!!! ... sorry I thought you said 1k. Oh you did....

Gotta love how pricing for intakes are like the wild west.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Way too much 600 and up

The Eventuri has a huge price tag. Woth the money? eh... It looks nice though.

The key takeaway for you looking to create the perfect intake system or whatever is the diverter plate. It essentially is the grill and front duct mod (where people dremel it out) but with a plate screwed in to force air to flow into the intake.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Best bang of the buck carbon fiber intake would be a used APR.