GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just swapped MK7 TDI BM for GTI PP

mark5555

As title says, I've just swapped my wife's TDI for a GTI.

There are many things to like about the TDI (economy, comfort, anonymity) , but I'm pretty adamant there will soon be a government u-turn on diesels.

I got the tdi as a cheap run about, but just don't do the miles to benefit from the fuel savings. Ultimately the above concerns and the fact that it's one of the dullest cars I've ever driven lead to the swap.

I got a decent part ex-change, but I suspect I'm not the only one moving away from diesel so there may well be a glut of P/X diesels leading to a worse trade-in in the future.

My search interest escalated from 1.4 TSI (150bhp) , to R, to Audi S3 (and RS3!) - with brain eventually overriding heart and returning back to the sensible option - GTI.

I wasn't specifically looking for a PP, but managed to get one for the same as a regular model - so it was a no-brainer.

The GTI is a much more interesting car than the one it replaces, with even rides to the supermarket now becoming vaguely memorable.

Whether or not the diesel fears are realized is now neither here nor there!

mark5555

Actually, I made a BAD decision. A Very Bad and VERY costly decision.

After taking delivery, and spending a couple of days with the car - it was clear it had an odor problem, that was not noticeable prior to purchase. The car must have been aired, before the test drive, and I drove with the window down as it was a nice day.

It was an ex-smoker car, and there was obviously another chemical smell introduced by the efforts to mask it - but it was nasty to a non-smoker.

Despite the dealers absolute reluctance to have the car returned - I've ended up exchanging the car for a newer but lower spec GTI, in a colour I would not ever have considered had I not been backed against a wall.

The VW Das Welt Auto program allows exchange within 30 days for a car of equal or greater value.

Had I paid and signed the paperwork remotely (i.e balance transfer), away from their office I would have been able to return the car for a full refund under the distance selling regulations. Gutted - a very costly mistake, and one I will not make again.

Not only did I have to spend another £5K cash to get the only car they had in stock remotely similar to the one originally purchased, but they even tried to sting me for £1000 extra by saying there was now another owner on the V5 or the smelly car! I told them where they could go.

An absolutely gutting experience overall, and I believe very deceptive selling from the dealer.

Having paid R/S3 money for a standard GTI hurts this petrolhead.

Not feeling so smug now

B@st@rds

:mad:

Glftsi

I took a big chance part exchanging my 2010 1.6 TDI Golf for a Mk7 1.4 TSi Bluemotion (1 year old) last year. The TDI developed a fault with the EGR value and the main dealer wanted £990 for the replacement work. At that point I decided to chop it in for anything petrol that my main dealer had in stock and agreed a P/Ex for the year old silver met 1.4 Golf Match TSi bluemotion. I got screwed on the P/Ex trade in value for my 2010 TDi but I just wanted to get a petrol Golf. I do mostly town/short runs and it ws clogging up.
So far I have not had any problems with the 1.4 TSi. It's quiet, efficient and reasonably economical. But it is by no means powerful. I'll cruise all day at 80 in 6th gear, but it is not at all quick to accelerate. My heart is in a GTi or even better a Golf R but as I live near to central London I can't really justify having such a powerful car as a run around.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
To be honest the 1.4lt 140/150PS which is replaced by the 1.5lt 150PS (later this year), is way faster than the figures in the book would have you think, & I have the estate version!

Mine just drinks Shell Nitro & I have the car throttle & steering in sport mode also. Its faster than a Mk4 GTI (1.8T), & will keep up to about 50 with a 3.2V6 Audi S3 Quattro, so no slouch!

I was considering an R estate by DSG only & I don't like, so was considering swapping a crashed manual R drivetrain & engine (from 3dr hatch which I found) to my car as fairly easy & within my mechanicing skills.

However I drive my cars on the back roads & have driven various friends VAG cars I work on....& to get a feel for the car i.e. "using it" you need to be into licence loosing territory on the higher performance versions...eg you can only get to use 70% of the car on the road....where as in a lower powered car 90%....that's the feeling I got & I was pushing the envelope.....

I like my licence....

rustyrig

I totally agree with the initial comments about petrol over diesel and I do think the government is going to change it's stance having pushed us in to diesel in the first place.
In my case and with the budget I had couldn't find a suitable petrol, maybe soon Ill be in a position to do just that get into a petrol.
good luck with the second choice

paulgarnett6

Ready to race!
Actually, I made a BAD decision. A Very Bad and VERY costly decision.

After taking delivery, and spending a couple of days with the car - it was clear it had an odor problem, that was not noticeable prior to purchase. The car must have been aired, before the test drive, and I drove with the window down as it was a nice day.

It was an ex-smoker car, and there was obviously another chemical smell introduced by the efforts to mask it - but it was nasty to a non-smoker.

Despite the dealers absolute reluctance to have the car returned - I've ended up exchanging the car for a newer but lower spec GTI, in a colour I would not ever have considered had I not been backed against a wall.

The VW Das Welt Auto program allows exchange within 30 days for a car of equal or greater value.

Had I paid and signed the paperwork remotely (i.e balance transfer), away from their office I would have been able to return the car for a full refund under the distance selling regulations. Gutted - a very costly mistake, and one I will not make again.

Not only did I have to spend another £5K cash to get the only car they had in stock remotely similar to the one originally purchased, but they even tried to sting me for £1000 extra by saying there was now another owner on the V5 or the smelly car! I told them where they could go.

An absolutely gutting experience overall, and I believe very deceptive selling from the dealer.

Having paid R/S3 money for a standard GTI hurts this petrolhead.

Not feeling so smug now

B@st@rds

:mad:
Name and shame!
No I'd have bought another of them no way!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk