GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne 1.5 & Mounts & NVH in 2nd

MatthewSP

I tuned to ED 1.5 HT 93O + DSG. I already had ECS Engine/Trans/Dog mounts. I am noticing really bad body rumble/shudder** in 2nd at low RPM under 1200 esp @ 1K.

I am wondering if anyone else saw this with a tune/mounts and what they did to help.

E.g. Is it possible to make an adjustment in the tune for rolling starts out of 2nd to keep the RPM up?

** I only have 3k miles and this really only became an issue with the tune.. Not to say NVH was non-existent before but it was more isolated to modest NVH under 1800 RPM pre-tune - This rolling 2nd shudder is totally horrid and almost ruins the car as a DD.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Don't drive in 2nd at that engine speed.

No the tune can't be adjusted for this. The engine's speed is determined by the car's speed and the gear ratios, as well as throttle position.

MatthewSP

I get that part but it isn't an option for being in 2nd - The DSG doesn't go to 1st at that speed. So I would expect everyone in 2nd after braking going into a rolling start.

Think traffic green before you fully stopped, or a driver making a slow turn in front of ya.

This only became "bad" with the tune, so there must be something going on there that can be adjusted..

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Are you shifting it manually? I know the gear ratio's are different between manual and DSG but 1000-1200RPM in 2nd should be about 10-12MPH give or take. Should be about 1800-2000 in 1st. That's well within what 1st is geared for.

MatthewSP

DSG generally won't allow shift to 1st in manual..In auto though it definitely doesn't downshift to 1st until stopped. So my quandry is how to resolve the shudder from the trans at the (very) low RPM.

Ironically idle is fine and 1st from a stop is good..more than good - Chirping the tires now with tune. So why is low 2nd sooo bad and only after tune with these mounts.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
It doesn't sound mount related, since you didn't experience it before. Some excess NVH can occur with upgraded mounts, though that depends on the mounts and their construction.

I can tell you that on ED Stg1.5 and 2, our cars don't like below 1300 or so in 2nd.

Can you describe the shudder more? Is it like a stalling shudder, jerking around, or vibrating?

Last edited:

MatthewSP

I would have to equate it to stalling an MT, that chugging front-back shudder though less "violent." This likely sounds unfounded but I can tell it is the trans as the source. Also as soon as the engine is above 1200 (maybe 1300?) then all is magically well again.

So if ED 1.5 has problems under 1300, what kind of fix can be made for low RPM rolls? I know nothing on the subject yet intuitively it seems like if the tune can cause it then another adjustment can reduce/remove it.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
ED doesn't have problems under 1300. The "fix" is to downshift. Even stock, the engine will bog and shudder if trying to accelerate in 2nd under 1200 or so. It's the combination of engine speed, load, and gearing that is causing that feeling. Under 1200 is too low of an engine speed for 2nd.

How much throttle are you using? Do you have a DSG tune?

Last edited:

MatthewSP

I have the DSG tune. If the car's NVH in low 2nd was fine pre-tune and terrible after then the issue realistically is related to the tune. Since the DSG manages the gear in full-auto then the fix of shifting manually is not-realistic, esp as shifts into 1st are generally blocked.

Also, since the factory tune runs the car @sub-1200 in 2nd w/o shudder, by its own programming, then that must be an acceptable gear/rpm/throttle position.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
It doesn't sound like NVH based on your description. It sounds like under-revving. I almost want to say that it's LSPI given the engine speed and load. How much throttle are you using when this occurs?

Seems simple enough to use Sport or Manual mode and downshift when your speed and engine speed is that low. Hopefully someone with a DSG can chime in about whether they can go into 1st in this scenario. You may need to re-flash the DSG tune.

On the stock tune, it may be a passable combination of speed, RPM, and gear, but just barely. Stock tune, peak torque comes in at 2000 RPM or so, so 1200 isn't too far off.

Once tuned it's a different matter entirely. Take into consideration what the tune does. It adjusts timing, fuel, and boost across the RPM range to make more power in the mid-top end. Peak torque comes in around 3500-3700 depending on tune. 1200 is pretty far from 3700. Stands to reason that it will accelerate differently and that the shift points are different when tuned.

I can say that 1200RPM in 2nd is under-revving and bogging the engine on Stg 1.5HT and 2 in a Manual.

Take a video and post it if you can. That will help a ton in troubleshooting it.