GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If you have a manual...

radoroc

Ready to race!
I've driven various VW cable shifted manuals since the dark early days ('97 GTI VR6 was my oldest). They started with the original Corrado VR6. Truly AWFUL in the early days. They've steadily improved over the years to the point I like the shifter in my R just fine and have no desire to monkey with it.

I'd used various short shifter solutions on the earlier cars, and hated all of them. Yes, throw was shorter, but feel was always crappy. I have no doubt the newest setups have likely improved, but I'm ok with the stock feel, so it will remain unmolested.

The rado vr shifted far smoother than these new cars, I miss that car.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Corrado would have been solid linkage I would assume. Cable shifters didn't really become a thing until mk4. I know my 95 Jetta still had a solid shifter.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
I've driven various VW cable shifted manuals since the dark early days ('97 GTI VR6 was my oldest). They started with the original Corrado VR6. Truly AWFUL in the early days. They've steadily improved over the years to the point I like the shifter in my R just fine and have no desire to monkey with it.

I'd used various short shifter solutions on the earlier cars, and hated all of them. Yes, throw was shorter, but feel was always crappy. I have no doubt the newest setups have likely improved, but I'm ok with the stock feel, so it will remain unmolested.

It all depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you drive this thing like a Camry then yes, factory setup is perfectly fine, but if you're an aggressive driver or track your car, the factory setup won't cut it. The chances that you'll "money shift" with factory setup are pretty high, IMO.

sixspeedz

Passed Driver's Ed
Removed the spring and added the clutch stop... actually a pretty noticeable improvement!

hoghead32

new 2017 R...wasn't sure i wanted the short shifter but did want less play...so removed the arm by compressing the spring turned to lock it for removal...took top plastic cap off inserted BB's into cavities of membrane 3 stacked per slot in front back and sides, cap back on... installed. Very nice feel now crisp without all the mushiness. If you ever shifted the old Ford trucks with the straight 6 cylinder...the length of throw between gears was massive but fun....this VW is short enough for this old time

lokerola

Ready to race!
I've only got a GTI, no R here, but thought I'd weigh-in.

I added the BMS clutch stop, a Boomba short shift adapter, and a BFI shift knob. The three together put me in shifting heaven. Short, precise, and effortless shifting.

The Boomba adapter took 15 minutes to install - super easy. The BFI knob took about an hour, thanks mostly to the time it took to remove the stock boot from the stock shifter. It's really annoying to do the swap, but totally worth it. The BFI knob is heavy and much lower than the stock shifter. I liked the stock golf ball look, but it was too light and too high for my tastes.

I like the clutch feel so I've never done the CDV or spring return mods and I'm quite happy with the way it shifts now.

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
Love my Diesel Geek SS. More on the pricey side but all of the the high quality steel parts are worth it

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Well, I have a full APR short shifter kit, APR metal bracket, Solid bushings, ECS CDV, clutch stop and Clutch spring removed. To me all of the above mods are a must. Some people are only after certain mods, such as cleaner/more precise shifts, shorter shifts, faster shifts, etc... I wanted them all, so here are my observations and a first hand experience.

The list:

1- Short shifter: will shorten shifts (some more than others). Depending on which one you get you may need an extra effort to shift. OEM RS3 shifter is almost identical to stock (effort wise), APR is second best, Diesel Geek is the worst.

2- Solid bushings: If you want precise, crisp shifts this is THE mod you want. This mod will clean up all the sloppiness, so no more money shifts.

3- CDV: If you like to speed shift and/or track your car and would like keep your stock clutch a little longer, this mod will help you a lot. You can also remove a yellow orifice from the OE CDV which will be as close to ECS as one can get. I came up with an idea of how to remove the orifice without removing CDV but I still strongly recommend bleeding it afterwards. ECS on the other hand has a one way valve which makes bleeding super easy and a one person job.

4- Metal bracket: Won't do much, but since I was in there already I installed it too.

5- Clutch stop: Will eliminate dead clutch pedal travel and will make your shifts smoother, faster and much more enjoyable.

6- Clutch pedal spring removal: Will further help with engaging clutch faster during speed shifts.

I haven't tried it yet but I am toying with an idea of adding a weighted shift knob, unfortunately so far I haven't found the one I really like. At some point I'll grow a pair and open up my OE knob to see if I can somehow add more weight (pieceIMG_1795.PNG.png of lead) to further reduce shifting efforts, not that I am complaining :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Love my Diesel Geek SS. More on the pricey side but all of the the high quality steel parts are worth it

It's $200 right? It's an all-in-one solution, though. So it's actually the most bang for the buck, when compared to other SS's that don't include the side to side or solid bushings (ahem, APR)

Tigsel

Ready to race!
It's $200 right? It's an all-in-one solution, though. So it's actually the most bang for the buck, when compared to other SS's that don't include the side to side or solid bushings (ahem, APR)

Do a research before you go DG. It's a 50/50 love/hate thing.

This is news to me.. This fits the R? If so, what is the Audi part # and does anybody have more experience/feedback on this piece?

Thanks

See here: https://www.urotuning.com/Mk7-Golf-R-Short-Shift-Kits-s/4446.htm

Cheaper here: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/european-short-shift-kit/8j0711046e/

Yes it does fit.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I just ordered some Torque Solutions Shifter Bushings and a BMS Clutch Stop. Hope to get them by the weekend so I can install them.

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion

Yes, $190 from DG. The shifts are so short and solid. Like you said, it really upgrades everything that has to do with the shifting. I don't think it's even possible to miss a shift with the DG

tko1

I second this, don't know why anyone wouldn't like this product. Really solid, and you get the solid bearing bushings. By measurement, my 2-3 shifts are just as fast as my 1-2 and 3-4's, a consistent 0.5 seconds. I don't feel any need to remove the clutch delay valve either, but a weighed shift knob works removes the last trace of notchiness.