GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY headlight protection?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Has anyone put xpel or lamin-x precuts on the headlights themselves? if so, how good are the patterns?

Not sure if I should cut it myself, or buy a precut kit. It does seem most installers use precut kits these days from what I'm reading so they must have gotten pretty good over time.

Here is a link to my LaminX install.
Have had 2 years.
I have a new set to install. Light tint this time.
Getting a little scuffed but not that bad. I want to see how they come off and also add the light tint.
See link below. Also give some suggestions on install.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_fid=112413&share_type=t&share_pid=147079

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sixspeedz

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly, first 12 inches should do!

Good idea!

Inexpensive option. Cover the entire hood front to the edge. Allow 1/16" to remain. Cut with a SHARP razor blade. Roll edge under hood with blow dryer! GTG!

Seriously. I'm either pulling the trigger on a full hood and bumper kit, plus rockers and a couple other bits (under $800 for everything), or I'm getting a small roll and doing headlights, throwing a line across the hood and calling it a day... use the rest of the cash on performance parts. I already have a few chips anyway.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
FYI. Front bumper kills the most bugs if you want to know what needs protection.
Flat and in front. Catches everything.

Not 100% true. windshield has larger cross sectional area, and cars these days have less front bumper area and more grills and openings in the front.

sixspeedz

Passed Driver's Ed
I ordered the headlight kit and rear bumper ledge in PremiumShield Elite from InvisibleMask.com to try out the film and see how good their templates are before buying the bigger stuff. I don't think I'd be happy with a 24" strip across the hood, so if these go on easy I'm probably ordering the full hood/fender kit. Will report back for anyone interested after I install.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Has anyone put xpel or lamin-x precuts on the headlights themselves? if so, how good are the patterns?

Not sure if I should cut it myself, or buy a precut kit. It does seem most installers use precut kits these days from what I'm reading so they must have gotten pretty good over time.

I have the xpel pre-cut. Did it myself but didn't turn out as good as the same brand precut clear bra. Don't know why. The xpel for the headlight set is very thick too. But all in all it's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigsel

Ready to race!
Let professional do it, It'll be cheaper in a long run.

sixspeedz

Passed Driver's Ed

sixspeedz

Passed Driver's Ed
So I got in the headlight, rear ledge, and door edge precut film today and had at it. Didn't do the door edges yet, but the headlights and rear ledge are done.

9/10 self-rated job on the headlights (lets see if it's a 9.5 after the few bubbles go away)... It took about 5-10 minutes at most each side. The template was good, needed just a small amount of stretching/heat.

10/10 on the rear deck, 2 minute install.

I'm quite confident I can do the hood and fenders now myself, but the bumper still looks challenging! I'd recommend giving it a shot yourself on the smaller items to see how it goes, but it's pretty easy to work with this stuff (I got the premiumshield elite) on flat surfaces.

Don't mind the otherwise dusty car, it was too hot for me to do a wash today so now I have to wait for Sunday while these adhere. I'd consider doing a tinted one maybe down the road, and maybe tinting my tails if I don't put in euro's.