GOLFMKV

Third Oil Change - Need to Diagnose Build Up On Oil Filter Housing

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Anything under oil filter cap or around top of dipstick?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
I completed my third oil change several weeks ago. If you want to read my oil analysis head here and check out post number three in the thread:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12260

This time around I did notice something on my oil filter housing; it was a build up of white gunk where the gasket sat:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/juqx1dcex7uxt8t/20161024_164227.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas on what we're seeing here? I never observed this during my previous two oil changes.

Looks like water or condensation in the oil
Milky or creamy colour usually means that

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Well, you changed the oil, and you still have plenty of warranty, so I would just check on it next time. And like was said, keep and eye out for milky buildup on your oil cap and dipstick. I had an old jeep with an internal coolant leak that had it on the dipstick. Very noticeable.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Anything under oil filter cap or around top of dipstick?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Negative.

Looks like water or condensation in the oil
Milky or creamy colour usually means that

Thank you for the feedback!

Well, you changed the oil, and you still have plenty of warranty, so I would just check on it next time. And like was said, keep and eye out for milky buildup on your oil cap and dipstick. I had an old jeep with an internal coolant leak that had it on the dipstick. Very noticeable.

Interesting, I'll continue to monitor those areas; however, I have topped off my coolant reservoir several times now. I'll do a leak test of the coolant system and report back.
What are your driving habits? Do you take many short trips that do not allow the oil to get up to temp?
Spirited driving after oil temps reach 180 degrees. By the time I reach work, temps are approximately 230 degrees.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
I'd not worry about this. Oil should not even penetrate in there much besides the contaminants you get on the treads while removing/replacing the housing (the plastic surface is porous/rough enough that trying to clean it would leave lint behind.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I had an old jeep with an internal coolant leak that had it on the dipstick. Very noticeable.

Engine bearings worse nightmare... haha

Honestly I may have seen this once or twice on my oil filter housing seal. I'll check it out next week when I do a oil change.