GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low frequency drone 1,100-1,800 rpm

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I’m out of ideas. I have a low rpm (1,100-1,800 rpm) low tone drone. It sounds like a woofer humming. Happens on throttle or off throttle, it's dependent on rpm. This was not there when the car was new but seems to get worse over time. I have replaced all my motor mounts with factory new and I have a bone stock exhaust. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I’m out of ideas. I have a low rpm (1,100-1,800 rpm) low tone drone. It sounds like a woofer humming. Happens on throttle or off throttle, it's dependent on rpm. This was not there when the car was new but seems to get worse over time. I have replaced all my motor mounts with factory new and I have a bone stock exhaust. Any ideas?

Has been talked about recently but take a look at heat shield above suit case muffler. Even if secure it can vibrate. I heard on deceleration at around 1500rpm.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
They really fucked up the programming in DSG if it lets the engine lug at 1100 rpm.
They did. It does.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I've had a low frequency drone in my DSG as well at the same rpm range. I even checked with the dealer and test drove and identical, new car and the noise was present. The DSG shifts to as high a gear as possible when you are barely on the gas for example cruising. A TCU tune was recommended to me and I will do APR's after warranty, but for now I just drive in manual mode.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I've had a low frequency drone in my DSG as well at the same rpm range. I even checked with the dealer and test drove and identical, new car and the noise was present. The DSG shifts to as high a gear as possible when you are barely on the gas for example cruising. A TCU tune was recommended to me and I will do APR's after warranty, but for now I just drive in manual mode.
Same story here. Did the dealer recommend the DSG tune though because that's f'd up if they told you to void your warranty to fix an issue.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie

Did your car do it when new? I don't remember this issue till about 15k on the clock.

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
I had a metallic buzzing sound going on around 2k and it turned out to be the Soundaktor, disabled it and it went away.

My Soundaktor was making odd sounds/vibrations at low RPM. I didn't realize that was the issue until I turned it off and now it's gone.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Same story here. Did the dealer recommend the DSG tune though because that's f'd up if they told you to void your warranty to fix an issue.

The shop foreman did recommend it saying it would void warranty, but its the only thing to fix it. I know Honda has tons of TB's for transmission shift points (I work in a Lemon Law Firm) I am surprised VW knows the problem and wont issue an update

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Did your car do it when new? I don't remember this issue till about 15k on the clock.
I noticed it around 300 miles in, car was bout with 12 on the clock with me putting on 8 of those.