GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

South Bend Stage II Daily Driver

BostonMFC

The short answer is yes. It is prob one of the most popular clutch options for this platform. If you research southbend and search any of the VW related forums you will find a lot of positive feedback. Many people also use the stage 3 version (myself included). Tune is irrelevant. I would say do some more searching as there is a plethora of information about this online.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I'd be interested in a performance clutch (and then I'd tune, if probably mildly), if 1) I had the extra money laying around, and 2) I had any confidence in any of the shops around here to do that sort of thing. There's not much of a tuner culture, or even a car culture in general, in these parts, other than various Subie fans.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Southbend stage 3 daily and call it a day

Hatcher

Ready to race!
I'm about a month into my Southbend Stage 2 Endurance and I love it. Pedal feel is great. At idle it sort of chatters like a diesel!

It makes a little noise when you get on it, but that's not a big deal.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I'm about a month into my Southbend Stage 2 Endurance and I love it. Pedal feel is great. At idle it sort of chatters like a diesel!

It makes a little noise when you get on it, but that's not a big deal.

I attributed my lack of chatter to the fluidampr I put on, as plenty of others have chatter with the southbend kits.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I attributed my lack of chatter to the fluidampr I put on, as plenty of others have chatter with the southbend kits.

I think it mostly has to do with what flywheel you go with, i had a Spec stage 3+ clutch and aluminum flywheel on my mk6 R and even with Fluidampr it sounded like sh*t. Replaced it with a Clutchmasters FX350 and slightly heavier steel flywheel and the chatter was completely gone.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I think it mostly has to do with what flywheel you go with, i had a Spec stage 3+ clutch and aluminum flywheel on my mk6 R and even with Fluidampr it sounded like sh*t. Replaced it with a Clutchmasters FX350 and slightly heavier steel flywheel and the chatter was completely gone.

It's just odd that people complain about the chatter from Southbend, but I have none. I assume the SB SMF's are the same with all of their kits, but even if they are only the same between stages, it doesn't explain why I don't have any. I guess I'm lucky.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
It's just odd that people complain about the chatter from Southbend, but I have none. I assume the SB SMF's are the same with all of their kits, but even if they are only the same between stages, it doesn't explain why I don't have any. I guess I'm lucky.

Because the noise is not real clutch chatter but rather gearbox noise.

Golf R 375-350

South Bend Stage 2 Daily

I have 450 miles on the SB Stage II Daily and it is near perfect so far. Barely noticeable chatter/vibration at idle in neutral.

I do notice a new engine vibration at lower RPM's (<4K) when loading the car up in gears 3 through 6. I'm hoping that a Fluidamper install will fix this annoyance.

I'll hit the 500 mile break-in on the way home tonight, so I should be able to start to really give it a test.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Glad to hear it's working out for you man. Almost time to let 'er rip.

Scrodee

Ready to race!
I DD my SB stage 2 Daily about 90 miles every weekday. Had the clutch on for about a year (at least 20k miles on it now). I’m very happy so far.
I get a little bit of gear lash at idle, especially when it’s cold and the A/C is running, but it’s not offensive at all.

'17 Night Blue Metallic GTI Sport 6MT | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | Boomba short shift adapter and knob | VWR downpipe, intercooler, turbo inlet pipe, & turbo muffler delete | AFE drop-in filter | AWE track catback with Vibrant 1750 resonator | Cobb AP, tuned by 5150