GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

manual vs dsg and why

nate704

Go Kart Champion
butt-hurt 6mt guys trying to come up with all kinds of excuses to justify their wishes! lol
people who bought 6mt cars will always say 6mt is better.
people who bought dsg cars will always say dsg is better.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
This whole thread is nothing but mental masterbation. We done yet...?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Until someone puts a tiptronic lockout on a third peddle, that you must press to flap the paddle.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Page 1 basically covers the whole thread. I love manual cars, driven them all my life. Then we got a DSG car...manual mode with the paddle shifters is bliss, really the best of both worlds.

Stevo_CT

Ready to race!
people who bought 6mt cars will always say 6mt is better.
people who bought dsg cars will always say dsg is better.

I believe that most people here are stating why the option they chose is better for themselves, for their situation, their preference.

It's down to personal choice. Both have strengths and weaknesses, you make your choice after weighing up what works best for you.

I personally think DSG is better for me, not that DSG is better than manual.

Hammertime

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2011 MK6 was manual, with APR stage 1, clutch started slipping. I now have a MK7 DSG, and APR stage 2, no problems, and its much faster, and equally fun to drive.

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
I was always anti-DSG for personal preference. I LOVE manuals, and have only bought VW's with manual transmissions.....up until the Alltrack I got at the end of last year. The trim I wanted didn't offer the manual. I MISS doing real shifting, and miss my clutch.
However, my lifestyle has changed (hence why I sold my R for the Alltrack), so the DSG is better for me at this time in my life at least.

DSG is nice, but it is no where near as fun to drive. Personal preference, as I know most people nowadays are anti-manuals.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
About 60-70% of cars sold in the world come with only automatic tranny due to a lot of factors, such as marketing, performance, engineering, and technology, not because of anti manual people.

Your percentage is a little low. I'd bet it's closer to 85-90%. In the US I believe I read the number of MT's sold is around 4% of total sales. Of course that includes vehicles that don't offer a MT so by default you get an auto so that figure is a bit skewed........but you get the point.

JD-1

Ready to race!
I just bought a 2018 SE and from what the salesman and I discussed he said that his dealership can't hold onto manual's at all vs the dsg's.

I got a 6MT, I like manuals and wanted to enjoy driving at least one more car with 6MT before I get older.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Your percentage is a little low. I'd bet it's closer to 85-90%. In the US I believe I read the number of MT's sold is around 4% of total sales. Of course that includes vehicles that don't offer a MT so by default you get an auto so that figure is a bit skewed........but you get the point.

I see. Also, I was talking about cars that are not available with manual tranny at all.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan